R6 Message Net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking at the install instructions on the gravessort.com website for their cut frame sliders, and it mentions the use of a hole saw.

i was wondering if anyone here has tired using the hole saw on their right fairing. i have never used a hole saw, and was wondering if there is advice/tip/or things to watch for before i go and tear up my fairing.

i have a few particular questions,

what is the best way to make sure that the hole saw goes in straight and centered??

will the edges get all torn up, ie burred, if so, how do i keep that from happening, so that my edges are nice and smooth.

and lastly, would using the hole saw be easier/cleaner looking/quicker/better than the other method i found in the how-to section, which is slowly shave away with dremel.

thanks

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
The best way I have found is using the playdo method to find the sweet spot, then drill dead center for your guide hole. Use the holesaw to make the hole, then clean it up with a dremel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did it on my 03. Use the playdough method mentioned to find the sweet spot (insert long bolt for slider into the block, place a piece of playdough on the inner side of your fairing, line it up and press the bolt into the dough, drill from the center of the bolt impression), then just use painters tape around the area you are going to drill. I drilled from the inner side and it turned out fine. Didn't have to use a dremel or anything.

·
Registered
44 Posts
just installed some graves sliders on my 04 a few days ago. I used a 1 3/4 inch hole saw, then cleaned with a dremmel. Worked great. I also used the playdough method. Just be sure to tape the faring with masking or painters tape(doesn't leave sticky residue) over where you are going to cut. Pm me if you need any additional information. Dont be afraid, it's easy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts