R6 Message Net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Red '05 R6
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Commuting home tonight my '05 R6 did something unusual.

When I left the parking structure the temperature was 120. I rode about a mile or so to a major intersection with a traffic light. It just turned red so I knew I would be there for a minute or two and put it in neutral. The temp. was about 145 when I stopped.

The engine temperature increased rapidly to 185 in about a minute. The light turned green and I put it in gear. Gauge showed 160 almost immediately and stayed at about 165 all the way home.

This has happened once before that I know of.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
The temp will usually increase quickly while stopped. With no air flowing over the radiator from the bike moving...it can heat up like that. Once you start moving again the temp will drop.

Don't think this is a problem

·
Red '05 R6
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reassurance. However, I probably should have been more specific. What is concerning me the most is that when I dropped it in to first, the temp went down from 185 to 160 pretty much instantaneously as though I pushed a button to make it do that. There was no count down. I didn't get two feet down the road.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Maybe your thermostat opened up while you took off. Once that coolant gets flowing it cools it down quiet a bit. The force helps get the coolant flowing. After all the bike was built to move, not to stand still so naturally its gonna run the best while moving (in terms of coolant circulation).

Regardless, everything is ok. Mine usually gets up to 180 + while in idle. :D

·
Registered
886 Posts
thats normal at a light in my 05 it gets up too 200+ than when i start riding it decreases..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts