R6 Message Net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ethylene glycol is ethylene glycol is ethylene glycol. Just make sure it has corrosion inhibators or aluminum engines. Just use distilled water. Some have deionized water but i question how good that is for engines anyways. I say that b/c i've hear second hand that it can strip ions from metals. That is why i'm told not to use it in our auto claves. I can't verify if its true or not though.

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
no and actually straight WATER cools better than antifreeze, but straight water is bad in that it freezes and has no rust inhibitors or anticorrosives, my suggestion is to stick with what your MOM (owners manual) recommends

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Scott_R6 said:
no and actually straight WATER cools better than antifreeze, but straight water is bad in that it freezes and has no rust inhibitors or anticorrosives
... or lubrication for the water pump. :wink

Us racers/track day types use water and water wetter, but this is NOT an anti-freeze.

If you dont ride on the track at all, just stick w/ the normal stuff. If your cooling system is working properly you dont really need anything fancy anyway. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
+1 on the Water Wetter. It has the rust prevention that anti-feeze has but isnt really needed for street use. The reason you need it on the track, (like Thrak said) is that AF is a pain in the ass to clean off the track and will take hours. During that time you can not ride on the track beacuse it is like ice, so you get a bunch of pissed off people who have paid to be there and they cant run.

If you do choose WW, just remeber to replace it when it gets cold (if it does where you leave) because IT DOES NOT LOWER THE FREEZING POINT OF WATER.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Thrak said:

Us racers/track day types use water and water wetter, but this is NOT an anti-freeze.

If you dont ride on the track at all, just stick w/ the normal stuff. If your cooling system is working properly you dont really need anything fancy anyway. :thumbup
Water pumps use sealed bearings, no lubrication required. Anyway, the point still remains that coolant is coolant and if you change it like you're supposed to, no harm will ever come to your engine from using the "cheap" stuff.

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
Thrak said:

very familiar with water wetter I use it in my car, haha forgot about the water pump lubrication

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
AwwsChwA said:
Water pumps use sealed bearings, no lubrication required. Anyway, the point still remains that coolant is coolant and if you change it like you're supposed to, no harm will ever come to your engine from using the "cheap" stuff.

:umm It does need lubrication..

Try running just water for a while and watch your water pump fail. :D

·
Registered
948 Posts
i prefer a combo of all...i do about 25% antifreeze/coolant, 65% DISTILLED water, and 10% water wetter...

i premixed it all...this way i get the cooling properties of water and water wetter and at the same time the lubrication that the water pump needs...just remember you must drain it for the winter or it will freeze

distilled water cools better becuase the boiling point of coolant is much lower then water...therefor it heats up much quicker when water has a higher boiling point/higher freezing point....

·
To the Track Stat!!!
1,473 Posts
I like engine ice.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
R6TraumaRider said:
I like engine ice.

That is some expensive stuff (it waa about twice the price of regular AF). I looked at it, but didnt get it when I was riding on the road. After I went to WW I was happy with the results.. and it was cheap.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
600f3rider said:
Water wetter isnt much better for slickness. Google it. Its on the water wetter homepage facts. Its damn near as slippery as ethylene glycol. I dont' know if it cleans up better but its slickness rating isn't much better.

But it cleans up off the track MUCH MUCH easier, which is why it is the required replacement for ethyol-glycol anti freeze.

·
Sperm Bank Loan Officer
1,599 Posts
Engine ice is an overpriced marketing scheme. Regular antifreeze is ethylene glycol which is a two carbon molecule. Propylene glycol ( like Evans ) is a three carbon molecule. Well obviously three carbons has a higher boiling point and lower freezing point. Also propylene glycol happens to be non-toxic and legal in AMA & CCS racing.

If you like paying $14-18 dollars for less than a gallon of coolant, half of it being water which is really cheap, go for it.

You can go down to Wal-mart and buy a gallon of Prestone's Low-Tox antifreeze (which is propylene glycol) for under $10, and a gallon of distilled water for $1.00 and mix it yourself. Doing it this way you also get 2.5 fills for roughly half the price of buying premixed. Th

·
Registered
948 Posts
600f3rider said:
Water wetter isnt much better for slickness. Google it. Its on the water wetter homepage facts. Its damn near as slippery as ethylene glycol. I dont' know if it cleans up better but its slickness rating isn't much better.
i use some water wetter for the cooling properties...i use some coolant for the lubricating...heck thats the only reason i put antifreeze in there...most people only put in water wetter/water but i feel the waterpump does need lubrication so i put in coolant

1 - 17 of 17 Posts