R6 Message Net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone has a good and simple way to unbolt the ignition switch from the upper triple tree of a 2003 R6. I'm changing out the upper tree with a newly powdercoated one. The new one shows two bolt hole for the switch. The old has some type of wierd smooth pointy bolt that I can't figure how to remove. Got 90% done with THIS to bring me to a screeching halt! I am bummed and don't know what to use. Any suggestions from the infinite widsom of the R6 Forum? Need help response quickly!!! Thanks:confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
theres no easy way to do this, i had the same problems
but there are 2 ways to do this..
1st get a dremel tool and put notches in the top of the "wierd smooth pointy bolt" and use a flat head screw driver and pray to god that it works and
remember to put massive deep notches in cause more then likely you'll strip the bolt
OR
2nd way drill out the "weid bolts" and hope you dont f up the threads

i tried the first way then it failed and i just drilled out the bolts took forever cause Yamaha uses crazy thread lock but it worked

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried the dremel way but that threadlocker wouldn't let the bolts turn. tried to drill out but caused more damage to the ignition housing than bolts. Finally took it to a friend that works at the yamaha dealer and he cut the ignition off for me with a hacksaw. Rebolted with new allen head bolts and more threadlocker. New triple tree w/ignition reinstalled and looks/works good

1 - 4 of 4 Posts