R6 Message Net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2006 yamaha r6. The bike only has 2500 miles. I am having trouble with getting the bike into neutral(not that i don't know how), it's that when trying to it'll shift to either first or second. Also when having the clutch lever fully engaged and reving the bike it tends to move forward a bit. Would this be signs of clutch needing adjustment or could it be something else. Lastly the bike shifts kind of hard into the gears. Any ideas why this may be?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
does it lunge forward when you put it in first or when you let off the brake with clutch engaged it moves?

if its the lunging, thats just a hard shift nothing to really worry about

if its the rolling, the clutch is partially engaged. you need to adjust the hand adjuster on your clutch to compensate for the rolling. keep turning it until it stops rolling. if your at the end of the adjustment you will need to go down to the clutch cover and adjust from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
perfectly normal, you will get used to it, rock the bike back and forth to put it in neutral, the bike still has low mileage which still consider as in the break in period. Try to ride same bike with high mileage and you'll notice the difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is the rolling. I have adjusted the adjuster for the clutch lever. I guess i'll have to adjust it down from the clutch cover...Another thing when i'm trying to get it into neutral i slightly rev it up to about 4K and its easier to go into neutral, so i'm guessing that the clutch is somewhat engaged.

Thanks for the Replies!

·
Two Wheel Whore.
97 Posts
ive had trouble getting it into nuetral at times when im stopped as well. seems pretty normal. personally, i try to always get it into neutral when im rolling to a stop. if you forget and are at a light and cant get it to go into neutral, try this....

the rolling trick works. also, while stuck in whatever gear you are in, let the clutch out just enough so it starts to engage but not fully (dont need to give it gas) and then grab it so it stops engaging. you should be able to pop it back into neutral after that.

its normal. i had it happen on my 03 from time to time and on my brand new 07. its just the mechanics of it all i think. (at least i hope! haha!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, I adjusted the clutch cable near the clutch casing and the problem went away. However, i've put about 500 miles on it since, and its beginning to do the same thing again. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
74 Posts
if bought used the guy before propably warped the plates by dragging the clutch or having it adjusted incorrectly, again you must have about a nickels thickness play where the lever mounts in the perch. to compensate for when the clutch heats up. 2nd scenario, are you dragging the clutch and getting it hot, if so stop. ha ha.
pull the plates check for discoloration and lay the metals on a flat piece of glass to see if they are still flat.
If clutch got warped buy a new complete clutch.
hope dat helps
Motor on
BigFish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.