R6 Message Net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my last bike, a yzf600r, i scraped the pegs a couple times in corners, but on my new R6 i guess i'm just not fearless anymore. i know that if you're cornering hard and you get off the throttle, the weight shifts forward and you can lose front wheel traction and lowside. and i know alot of you say that if you go into a turn too hot, you should just lay the bike down further. but i guess i just don't have the confidence that the tires will actually hold the road. any tips on riding position or technique when you have the bike all the way over? if i have the bike all the way over in a turn on a good line, what could cause me to go down?

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
520 for the 03

Lean off the bike...that helps....and trust me they'll stick...

I was a a battletrax competition and had a little experience in learning to corner better. Battletrax is just a road corse setup in a large parking lot if you didn't know....Anyways I was pulling some decent lap times but couldn't really get any faster....eventually one of the guys came up to me and told me the whole traction thing is mind over matter and I could lean the bike a lot more....after his advice I leaned a lot further through all the turns and ended up shaving 6-7 seconds off my lap times....so go to a parking lot or some place where you won't be bothered and start out with slow corners at extreme lean angles and eventually it'll carry over to the faster riding...

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, just like he ^ said, it's pretty much all mind over matter. Think of it this way. You were able to lean your yzf600r way over, and that bike is much heavier and less capable than the R6. On top of that, tire compounds are getting better and better all the time, and you happen to have the latest street compound on your bike right now. So, again mind over matter. BUT there are other factors too. #1, have confidence in the bike, but don't put ALL your faith in the bike. You gotta use your eyes too, to spot bad stuff in the road (or in a parking lot) like sand, oil, wet leaves, whatever.

As for the other stuff you said... Like I said, the R6 is more capable than the YZF600R, but it's also much less forgiving. If you do something it doesn't like, it'll let you know one way or another. Usually it just becomes a little unsettled, but sometimes, things can turn ugly. If you're deep into a corner, and leaned way over and you chop the throttle, the R6 does have a strong tendency to load up the front and you could easily low-side, so be careful about that. Don't roll off the throttle.

Basically there's just too much to type in here. I suggest you go out and get some books and take come classes, preferrably at a track. You'll find your confidence and learn about your bike amazingly fast at one of those schools.

Good luck,
Eli

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how about body positioning when turning? When i turn, i pretty much have my entire upper body laying on the tank, placing a lot of weight on the front of the bike. Is that bad? Because i'm adding even more stress on the front tire?

Or is it good because i'm helping putting weight on the front tires, so it will grip a little better?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, your weight should be on the pegs, really F550. You won't notice many ill effects from puting weight on the tank unless you're going downhill, then it will become apparent that's not the right thing to do. Really the only time you want that much weight on the tank is when you're launching from a stop (like in a race) or when you're trying to get under the bubble going down a straight. Other than that, most of your weight should be on the pegs. Of course, this is all different than using points on the tank to ancor. For example, when I'm riding in a spirited manner ;) I use my outside forarm on the tank along with the inside of my outside leg (if that makes sense) to hold me on the bike. Of course, I try to get way off the inside of the bike when turning.

Still, what you describe is MUCH better than putting all your weight on your hands, which you're not doing, right? ;)

I'm tellin ya guys, books and classes. If you're not into Code's books (which can be pretty hard to read) look for "Sportbiking: The Real World" and "Sportbiking: The Real World Part 2" by a guy named Gary Jaehne. He's a local rider here in Northern CA, and I can tell you, he's smooth and fast. One of the fastest guys I know, and he makes it look easy. In his books he describes in detail how he rides and gives "real world examples". He has a unique writing style, but you'll have to get the books to see what I mean. ;)

Eli

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like Eli said, most all your weight should be on the pegs.....lefties most of your weight on the left peg and vice versa. Most of your traction is coming from the rear tire so if you chop the throttle, weight transfers to the front tire with less contact patch = low side. Mind over matter and lots of practice to break your fear....remember the R6 will out perform almost any rider here, so trust the bike....put it in there and it will stick if you ride it out by staying smooth. SMOOTH is the key, any other wild movement will upset the chassis.

Pick a nice smooth wide turn that has run off room on both sides and practice on that turn, slowly at first. Keep adding speed and leaning the bike more and more....get on your toes, get your ass off the seat, weight the outside peg and twist the throttle.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
weight the inside peg
Actually most teach to weight the outside peg, but it totally depends on the situation. If you're on a clean dry track, you can weight the inside peg to help steer the bike. But otherwise, you should be weighting the outside peg. Of course, this is yet another skill I haven't mastered yet. Damn short legs. :\

Eli

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, YSF6, I'm having the same problem. A lowside this year on the Ducati and a shitty (new) rear tire on the R6 that just won't hold traction have completely ruined my confidence in the bike. Just last night I was riding home from work on mildly moist asphalt, tossed the bike into a sweeper, the rear stepped out and with the steering at full opposite lock I was just wishing that I could afford to replace that sucker right away (I have about 1.000 miles on that tire).

Here's what I'd do if I were you (and what I plan to do myself as soon as I catch up with them Visa bills). Make sure your tires are in good condition, nice and soft and with plenty of thread left. Then take it to a trackday. I promise, you will be dragging knee if not after the second session, then after lunch.

Take care,

-R.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
weight the outside peg
LOL....:wtf A slip of the brain....that's what I get for trying to respond while I'm working.

My original response has been edited for clarity. :thumbsup

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to disagree here.The more weight you get on the front the better. The R6 tends to push us way back on acceleration. A lighter front end means tankslappers among other things.

Yes you weight the pegs, and you use the control that you get to keep your body weight FORWARD. Weight that front end. You get much more control that way. Even going downhill you do not need to slide back or lean back. Look at the fast guys like Bostrom. He is over his tank as far as he can go. The more weight you get on the front tire the easier the cornering is.

Ernie

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Hard Cornering Fears --I damn near sauced my pants!!!

Ya, im in the same boat.. newbie to the street world...

I have scared the tird out of me a few times already tryin to lean it over ....

It really feels like the tire is just gonna wash out...( plus ive been on a dirtbike all my life where the tire will wash out)

I have made a few turns where it just feels like the bike wont hold the turn and I end up pushing to the otherside of the corner damn near off the road. Thing is I KNOW damn well that the bike was design to do it and prob would have done the same corner at twice the speed I attempted....

Im scared !!! :( please help my pussy ass behavior... lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am also having trouble in the tight corners, for example, on a tight corner from a stop using first you cant really just cruise it, first is either go faster or slow down. using second is ok but still really jerky if coming off or on the throttle and requires alot of clutch work. any suggestions?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts