R6 Message Net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Just let me touch it.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I'm riding and I try to shift from 1st to 2nd, or vice versa, and accidentally pop into Neutral, I'll hear and feel this nasty, really loud grinding if I try to complete the shift. The shifter will kinda bounce around a little and often stay in neutral until I give it a really hard kick. I usually kick it with solid force to complete the shift the first time, but the shifter will sometimes react that way regardless. Anyone know why? It's pretty disconcerting, and I'm worried I may be damaging my shifter in some way.

~Spit

·
Registered
134 Posts
make firm up and down shifts!! that is the way the gearboxes are designed to work. the reason that it is doing that is because you are not shifting firmly and not shifting firmly will hurt the gearbox.(or you are going way to fast to be trying to put the bike into first slow down some and then try to get it in) the reason it does not do it really in the other gears is because N is not between them

·
Just let me touch it.
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll work on givin'er, thanks! I thought the speed may be the issue because if I'm in a situation where I can slow down the shift will go smoothely.

~Spit

·
I "heart" motorcycles
46 Posts
When I am shifting from 1st to 2nd and I hear grinding it usually is because I am not going fast enough to get into 2nd gear, that plus not putting a smooth upward motion on the shifter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts