R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after my wimpy lowside that scratched up the mid pipe on my devil, I decided to try and use a lil green plastic brillo pad to get some of the melted delrin off (from the slider that sprayed bits.) Well that wasnt such a hot idea as it left the mid pipe with a dull finish.

I emailed devilbikes.com and asked how much a replacement mid pipe would be. Robert asked for a picture of the damage, so I sent him one with an explanation of what happened. This is his reply:

What you need to do now is take 1000 ( Medium ) Grit Sand paper and and sand it using one Direction. The sand paper needs to be wet in a bucket of water.
Once you have sanded it with that, use a finer grit sand paper like 1200 to finish the sanding process. After your done with that, Use A good stainless metal polish like Mothers cream polish in Auto store and polish away. It should come up like a Mirror. As for the small dent, you will only be able to sand it a little to make it less noticable but you will not be able to completly remove it. I have a heel gaurd heat sheild that can cover that up.
It may sound like alot of work but its not and it will save you $175.00.

Price of new mid-pipe= $ 175.00
Price of sand paper and metal polish = $10 -$15
Price of riggz spending a few hours and sore hands and shoulders from polishing , But yet happy that the connecting pipe Shines like a mirror = PRICELESS

Let me know how it works out. If you are not able to fix it, You can send me the connecting pipe and we will polish it for you.
Let me know how it works out.

Great guys over there at devilbikes.com (if anyone's thinkin bout gettin a devil, they will hook you up if you tell them ur from the R6MN.)

So i took his advice and went to work. Here's what I got.

On the bike before I dulled it up with a plastic brillo:

Halfway done sanding:

All done yay!:

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i didnt really intend for it to get that shiny lol. its still got some imperfections, mostly that came from the manufacturer where they bent the pipe. looks like the clamp ridges or something. oh wellz i likes it :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
how bad did your arms and hands hurt from all that? looks sweet. might have to snag my mid pipe off mine when I go home this weekend. But then I woudn't be "unique" would I? haha

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol, yeah my shoulders are a lil tender now, hands didnt hurt that bad. I sanded it in the bathtub under water so i had to bend over which wasnt very ergonomic. I only used the 1000 grit as the autozone didnt have anything finer.

You would be unique cuz not that many people have polished mid pipes on their mircons! ;)

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Firetire said:
what dent? looks great man
there wasnt really a dent, but a spot where it was scratched a bit deeper. it's still there but not nearly as noticeable now.

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
and that is why i love my leo, nothing is polished, and i can clean it all up w/ just a brilo pad..

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if i lose the peg feelers then how will i know when i hit the curbs?!

·
Registered
913 Posts
How many sand paper pads did you go through and about how long did it take to sand? My mid pipe on my Micron looks nasty and its not even that old.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Trust me I know all about polishing. I just finished the rear wheel on my 02. Trust me not not not fun at all but looks spectacular. Ill post some pics soon. P.S. I use all the way to 2000 grit and finish it off with Flitz cream polish very nice stuff.

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i used about 1.5 sheets of 1000 grit, took maybe a total time of 1 hour from removal of the pipe, sanding, and polishing.

jsmoof, whered u score that 2000 grit? i searched home depot, autozone and pep boys, 1000 grit was the best i could find.

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
should be a lil place right next to the 'sweat shop'

·
Look Alive
558 Posts
damn he wasn't kidding when he said it'll come out looking like a mirror. i would have polished it myself like you because diy is the way to go

·
Registered
252 Posts
damn dude, that looks so good, i saw the first pic and then the second but not the captions and i thought that was it. then i saw the third pic and my eyes almost fell out. My 2 bros. pipe has some scratches on it and i think im going to try this.

Anyone have any idea if putting my pipe in bathtub will damage it?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts