R6 Message Net banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to the Navy recruiter tomorrow and I wanted to run some stuff by you guys and get your advice

I'm looking to get student loan repayment and sign-on bonuses. Also, I understand that since I have a degree and an Eagle Scout rank I should go in as an E-3. I know I need to get all that in writing. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

I'm married and need to get medical insurance etc. for the wife. She won't be with me though so I'll get housing pay and dependent pay, right?

The last issue is kind of complicated. I ran track and cross country in high school and had serious issues with shin splints and stress fractures. I went to orthopedic surgeons and podiatrists to try to fix things and ended up getting custom orthotics. Basically, If I wear the orthotics I can run pretty much however I want. Without them though, I start getting stress fractures pretty quickly.

I'm not sure how to handle this one since I don't want to be medically disqualified. I emailed the recruiter and he said basically that if I didn't say anything about it and the MEPS doctors don't find anything wrong, don't worry about it.

Thats fine and good but I don't want to get halfway through boot and develop stress fractures. What I want to do is try to get some kind of waiver so I can take my orthotics with me.

Does anyone know if custom orthotics are still disqualifying? With them I run anywhere from 5-8 miles daily but I know from many years of experience that running even 1-2 miles a day without them will screw my legs up.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts