R6 Message Net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Strong Fast
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A day or two ago my bike started missing at RPM less than 4,000. I hadn't changed the plugs since I got it, so I figured I would start there. Tonight the plugs were all changed. After I had it all back together, I took it out and it died after a minute or two, and then it wouldn't run for more than 30 seconds. I tried keeping the RPM up higher, but that didn't help. When I got off the bike I noticed the sweet orange glow of my new, unexpected ground effects. The exhaust manifold was bright orange.

Has anyone else experienced this? What was the problem?

I will be scheduling its repair with a dealership tomorrow.

·
#1 member
2,807 Posts
actually a lean condition causes that. i seen this condition in a car once. it turned out to be a blown fuse for the fuel injectors.
to me i would suspect you have a problem with the ignition coils. did you ever get them replaced under the factory service bulletin that was posted about 2 years ago? if not then i bet that's your problem. this link will tell you everything you need to know.
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1505

·
Dragraces too much
1,641 Posts
It's either very, very rich (and thus burning fuel outside of the chamber, but it's more likely to being quite lean, and trying to destroy itself.

Pull your plugs and see what they look like. If they're black, you've got too much fuel. More likely they'll be white, and may have spotting or blistering. If they've got spots on them, it's pieces of melted piston, and you probably need to start figuring out why you're not getting fuel.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
you might have something clogging the exhaust too... did you check to make sure someone didnt drop something in there?

·
Strong Fast
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mechanic did say that he thought it was lean too. I smelt fuel in the exhaust and it seemed like there was residual on the plugs when I changed them, but after I grease-monkeyed around in there something definitely changed. I trust that they will fix both the initial problem that prompted me to change the plugs and the thing I screwed up.

To answer the other question, I have not replaced the coils. Although in the process of changing out the plugs I fucked up the locking clasp on one of them and they're going to take care of that while the bike is in the shop also. I have read a little about others changing their coils out with that "dies at stop lights" problem.

I should have word on the plan to bring my baby back from the dead in a couple of days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts