R6 Message Net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a spin today at Mount Glorious. To all my non Australian buddies this particular road is as popular for its winding roads, awesome scenery & bikes as it is notorious for the amount of riders who get killed there each year. Today was my first ever run & I must admit that I can see the attraction, as well as seeing how so many people die there.

I followed my mate on his ZX10R as he's been there before & I thought it would be a good idea to have a guide through some of the hairier parts. Going up the mountain was just mindblowing. If you discount the blind corners (many of them genuine 1st gear 180 degree uphill/downhill hairpins) it seems to have been built by God for riders. Oh...and the fact that there is no runoff whatsoever. This is balanced somewhat by the tightness of the corners. Very few fast corners.

Anyhow, to continue...

As I said the ride up was great. Coming down the mountain's other side however was a different story. I have never seen so much leaf matter, dirt, mud, loose rocks etc in my life. It was almost like a rider course in picking safe lines through detritus than a ride. And the crowning achievement: Coming around a downhill left hander...a lovely greeny carpet of moss covering my entire lane. MOSS! I have never encountered this peaceful denizen of the rainforest in a riding situation before & I hope to never again. Put short that stuff is slippery.

Moss navigated successfully it was time to climb Mount Neebo which neighbours Glorious. Just as much fun, just as much road debris. I have always really enjoyed fast sweepers but after today's ride I am hooked on slow, tight twisties. Mine eyes are opened.

Total time of ride (with a couple of side trips) 3.5 hours. Fabulous.

Just felt that I needed to share that :thumbup

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops...meant to put this thread in the "R6 General" section...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts