R6 Message Net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2001 yamaha r6 and do not have any hand book for it. I have had lots of different answers which is why im asking here. For fuel is regular gas fine for the bike or is premium needed for proper operation?

Also for the fuel like does it turn on when the tank is down to reserve and the flash on empty? its a 17l tank so on reserve how much fuel would I have left?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
yes you CAN run 87 octane fuel (only with first gen bikes though --1999-2002--), that is a fact since i have been running 87 since the start of the season (save for a few times where i know im going to a track or running it hard)

as far as the reserve light--there really isn't a "reserve" just a low level light just like on a car. i think it comes on around 1 to 1.5 gallons. and depends on how you ride but theoretically based on mpg you could get anywhere from another 30-40 miles out of the low fuel light.

i usually fill up between 20-30 from the light just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
why? im not hurting the engine at all. its carb'd it can take 87.

i've recently checked all my plugs valves etc since running with 87 everything is still in tip top shape nothing out of the ordinary. if its not hurting anything and i really can't tell a difference between 87 octane and 93

and i do mostly commuting, so why waste money on good octane when i know im not going to be riding hard? like i said if i know im going to a trackday or aggressively riding then i will put 93 in there but any other day ill stick with my 87.

·
I "heart" motorcycles
46 Posts
I think the information natedogg added is right on and completely correct. I haven't tried 87, but I am sure it will be OK on the 1st generations because of the carbs. I usually fill up as soon as my light goes on, but there is usually enough gas left over in the tank for about 20 more miles of "normal" riding.

·
Registered
27 Posts
87? YOu have an 87 octane fuel? Our lowest is 95, and thats poor. I run 97 in mine. Over here (UK) its known as Premium Unleaded. Its about $35 to fill up though. Even normal unleaded (95) its about $32!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts