R6 Message Net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know there r like a million and 1 oil threads on here but most are dated so I thought why not get a fresh perspective. The guy I bought my bike of was running full syn ams oil 10 40. The mechanic(over 30yrs there) at the shop I've been going to recommends semi syn. He says it's not as "slippery" and that with full syn the clutch will start slipping over time. So what do u guys think?

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I know there r like a million and 1 oil threads on here but most are dated so I thought why not get a fresh perspective. The guy I bought my bike of was running full syn ams oil 10 40. The mechanic(over 30yrs there) at the shop I've been going to recommends semi syn. He says it's not as "slippery" and that with full syn the clutch will start slipping over time. So what do u guys think?
Unfortunately, I run across this misinformation all too often.

It makes no difference on the Base Stock. It is about the additives in the oil that make it perform for the specified application.

Problems have been reported using synthetic oil, just as there has been with any oil and usually caused by using an automotive oil or a cheap or faux synthetic.

Use a Premium Motorcycle Specific oil and you will not have a problem.

Since 1972, I have owned and sold 3 shops, managed several others and was a Certified Tech.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got Amsoil full synthetic in my 08 R6. Used to use DuraBlend. Used to change at 2,000 miles.

The Amsoil has not discolored in 1500 miles. Still looks like new. How long can I leave it in?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got Amsoil full synthetic in my 08 R6. Used to use DuraBlend. Used to change at 2,000 miles.

The Amsoil has not discolored in 1500 miles. Still looks like new. How long can I leave it in?
If you are also using the AMSOIL EA Series filter, you can double your normal drain interval up to 2x the OEM recommended.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
72 Posts
I found a study done by a professor at california state and the conclusion of his study was that motorcycle oils do not have anything specific that they add over regular automotive oil. In just about every case the motorcycle specific oil did worse than the automotive oils.
Here is the link. It is non biased unlike the ones in the Amsoil guy's sig.
I now use Mobil 1 full synthetic. But that is just me, I guess I like to listen to doctors rather than the companies promoting their product.

·
Registered
49 Posts
WASN'T YOUR FIRST CLUE 1994 ?

At least come up to this century. Oils have changed in the last 6-18 months much less 15-16 years !

First, if you really knew anything about the Tests in My Sig., you would understand that the tests were performed by several of The Top Independent Testing facilities in the US who could not afford to falsify information as they have huge Industrial, DOD, Aircraft and Space contracts. Not to mention OEM's and most other oil companies.

To keep people that at least understand a little about this from denying these results, ASTM Tests are used. In these tests, the human hand cannot be involved so to not be able to change the results.

These tests will have the same results if the Labs do them, you do them or my grandaughter does them, unlike the "One Armed Bandit" tests on TV.

If anyone says there is no difference between auto/diesel oil and Motorcycle oil, they have no idea what they are talking about.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
72 Posts
WASN'T YOUR FIRST CLUE 1994 ?

At least come up to this century. Oils have changed in the last 6-18 months much less 15-16 years !

First, if you really knew anything about the Tests in My Sig., you would understand that the tests were performed by several of The Top Independent Testing facilities in the US who could not afford to falsify information as they have huge Industrial, DOD, Aircraft and Space contracts. Not to mention OEM's and most other oil companies.

To keep people that at least understand a little about this from denying these results, ASTM Tests are used. In these tests, the human hand cannot be involved so to not be able to change the results.

These tests will have the same results if the Labs do them, you do them or my grandaughter does them, unlike the "One Armed Bandit" tests on TV.

If anyone says there is no difference between auto/diesel oil and Motorcycle oil, they have no idea what they are talking about.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
Just because the test was done in 1994 does not change the fact that motorcycle oil companies LIE about their product being superior to "regular" oil. I'm sure there have been advancements in all areas of oil technology including that of auto oil.Also, my guess is that the advancements are pretty linear and equal when comparing motorcycle and automotive oil. If you read the whole article you will notice that Dr. Woolum called around the motorcycle oil companies asking what special additives were in their oil vs. auto oil and NONE would give him a straight answer. He then talked to an auto oil manufacturers and asked them about special motorcycle additives
Spokesmen at both Mobil and Castrol were a bit surprised at our questions, since neither makes any claims for their products in a motorcycling context. However, when we explained the test results, neither company spokesman seemed the least bit surprised, both noting that automotive oils in general had made a quantum leap in viscosity retention technology in the past five or six years. Both companies claimed to be using the very latest in shear-stable polymers for viscosity retention, and while claiming no knowledge of the motorcycle-specific oils' formula, expressed serious doubt that they could contain some type of additive that was superior in this context to that already being used in their automotive oils. Our test results support their assertion
So obviously they had NO clue what they were talking about....??

Last I find it funny that the study done leaves out all auto oil. You would think they would make it a first target and priority seeing as it is so "inferior"...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know how to say this anymore. It is plain and simple.

In 1994 there was little to no difference between auto and M/C oils. It all started changing probably around 2000... The necessary SG or SG/SH spec was obsolete for automobiles but still required for Power Sports applications. The only way you should use a higher API rating is if the oil has the JASO MA or MA2 Rating which means it at least is rated for a wet clutch. This still does nothing for the ZDDP package which is an anti-wear additive mostly for the cam and lifters Unless you have a roller cam like my one bike does.

Few automobiles produced in the last 10 years have flat tappet cams which is why ZDDP has been greatly reduced.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

Bob

·
Registered
72 Posts
Fair enough. Thanks for you explanation. In your opinion do you think there are auto oils that do outperform motorcycle oils? To me it just seems like a really easy way for companies to take advantage of a select group of people by charging them more for a "special" oil. Not necessarily amsoil, but... you get my point. What price does amsoil run per quart?

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are always Best and Worst in anything you buy and oil is no exception. So the answer to your question is a little difficult as there are oils I wouldn't give a plug nickle for such as Lucas, Torco and Royal Purple. So if you look at some of the not so good M/C oils, yes, there are auto oils that would outperform them in certain areas.

Through years of trials, tribulations and lots of $$, I have found that there is no replacement for a Premium Motor oil in anything you own. There is an old addage when it comes to business which is, location, location, location. When it comes to your vehicles, it comes down to maintenence, maintenance, maintenance.

I don't say the things I do about AMSOIL to sell it. I sell AMSOIL because of what I can say about it and have Since 1984.

One of the things you are paying for with AMSOIL M/C oils are the extended drain capability then you also have smoother running engine, smoother shifting, easier to find neutral, fewer false neutrals, cooler oil temps, more HP and better fuel mileage.

In a cost per mile based comparison, AMSOIL comes out ahead of the competition, even against petroleum oils such as Rotella. I have several grades of AMSOIL suitable for Motorcycles, I will PM you some prices based on out Premium M/C oils and a filter for an R-6

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
90 Posts
My sort-of newbie $0.02 worth.
My '03 R6 has 20k miles ( I bought it with 17k miles and new synth oil) with zero clutch,shifting issues until .........
I changed oil this spring to PJ-1 gold semi-synth. All was good for 700 miles and then
weird clutch/shifting problems arose, smelled the oil, very burnt. The clutch was slipping but not from over wear.......
I now have a new clutch and filled properly with Silkolene 4T Pro-4. All is good again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts