R6 Message Net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have an idea of I how I can tell if these are straight? To my naked eye they look straight, but when I'm riding I can't see out of the right mirror without moving my head to the right. (yes I've tried adjusting the mirror) My bike was crashed when I bought it, and it hit on the right side pretty sure it was a lowside that hit a curb or something.... anyhow whatever happened to it the right clip on was broken off, and it looked like it hit hard enough so the left one dented the tank. I'm assuming that in order to go that far it really had to whack the fairing stay.

Here are the only pics I have of it right now. I know they probably suck for trying to see if it's bent.

·
Converted to the Darkside
175 Posts
+1
if you're going for a visual inspection, its a lot easier to see if somethings straight if you put it on a rear stand and point the front wheel straight....

·
To the Track Stat!!!
1,473 Posts
That subframe does look a little tweaked. Take the plastics off and put the bike on a stand, then eyeball it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I coulda swore someone did a how-to to see if your frame or subframe was bent after a wreck, but i searched for like 20 min and couldnt find it. Maybe thrak knows where its at?

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
The title of the thread is about the Front Fairing stay, not the rear sub-frame, am I reading this right. NOT the rear sub-frame.

If it's the front stay your on about you can't bend it, it just snaps so your fine.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
"bent" OEM fairing stay....

Actually, it is really hard to bend the OEM fairing stay because they usually snap off. Sometimes even taking the frame mounting tabs with them which is bad.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics, but actually the rear sub-frame looks a bit crooked to me. If that is the case as it looks, your body would be shifted to the left, possibly making it difficult for you to see your right mirror.

As stated, the fairing stay is cast. Usually it breaks. You can look at the mounting points, or even lift up on the nose of the bike (under the headlights) to see if it is even bolted up, or if all bolts are on.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
fractureman said:
The title of the thread is about the Front Fairing stay, not the rear sub-frame, am I reading this right. NOT the rear sub-frame.

If it's the front stay your on about you can't bend it, it just snaps so your fine.

thread title said:
Front fairing stay/subframe bent?

:myfault

So, have you taken the bike apart yet man?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already had the whole bike apart when I was replacing the fairings.... of course it didn't look bent so I didn't pay attention to it. Anyhow, now I'm in Honduras so I can't take it apart again to check it out. :myfault

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
serpentracer said:
the front faring stay is too brittle to just bend. trust me they snap into many pieces instead. I've broken 4 of them

Hmm, I wonder if maybe the mirror itself is bent or out of whack or something... I didn't really compare it to the other one. It looked normal to me though.

·
#1 member
2,807 Posts
Van Wildonher said:
Hmm, I wonder if maybe the mirror itself is bent or out of whack or something... I didn't really compare it to the other one. It looked normal to me though.
that could be. they are bendable a bit.
its hard to tell anything from the mirrors i find. mine seem out of wack every now and then. its just the way i may be sitting one day and i have to move it. anymore i just move my head more to see. thats the price we pay for riding sportbikes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it seemed like I really had to go out of my way to see out of it. I didn't get to ride it much because it was so cold, but it seemed like I had to move my head over at least 4-6 inches to see what was behind me in the mirror. There was no way to adjust it so I could see out of it without moving my head, and it also seemed like it was in the same positon as the left one.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Actually the front stay can get bent ever so slightly. I have one that is and it makes it hard to see out of the right mirror. After some close examination I have a stress crack right as the fairing stay turns upward to hold the mirror in place (if that makes any sense). Did you notice the right mirror holes not lining up exactly when putting the mirror on? From looking at my bike you really can't see the alignment but it is there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts