R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know MotoGP bike haul some serious ass, and are the quickest bikes around a racetrack today. The question, though, is are they really that much quicker in the corner? I mean, how much quicker are they when compared to say a superstock/superbike/250gp bike etc through a corner or are they? If they are, is it simply b/c of the incredible tires they have or a combination of everything when compared to what us mortals and even race teams can get?

·
Woody Racing #409
1,311 Posts
motogp bikes have the ULTIMATE in suspension technology and traction control system along with being incredibly lightweight and powerful, so they would attack a corner at a higher speed and be able to grip a lot better with the insanely grippy tires, so yes they are that much faster in a corner. they also have incredible braking systems which allows them to be able to brake later and trail brake with more confidence I'm guessing
However there is the argument that at some tracks superbikes run competitive laptimes to GP bikes (ex. Laguna somebody said mladin was running laps that would put him about midpack on a motogp grid) I don't know a whole lot about laguna so not really sure how that happens but somebody else might.

·
Rice Rocket
3,786 Posts
i think a lot will argue that the 250s are the ultimate track machines in terms of cornering/cornering speed.

·
Woody Racing #409
1,311 Posts
possibly but valencia fastest lap times (qualifying)
125cc: 1:39.830
250cc: 1:35.298
MotoGP: 1:31.874

·
Rice Rocket
3,786 Posts
i'm sure the lap times will be in favour of the motogp bikes...

but i thought you were strictly speaking about cornering speed?

·
Woody Racing #409
1,311 Posts
just making the point that although 250s might be fast in the corners it isn't quite enough to make up for lack of HP

·
Rice Rocket
3,786 Posts
i think if you put a radar gun at the apex of a turn or measure it by using a gps or whatever, i think the 250 might put up some surprising #s

its just like how ppl say a 600 handles better and often carries better/more corner speed than a 1L.....

but i'm sure the margin is much closer for 250gp and motogp bikes..

·
Rice Rocket
3,786 Posts
fo sure the motogp bikes will be faster over an entire lap....everytime they have any bit of a straight, they will more than make up the incremental lead that 250s made up in the corners

·
2008 Triumph 675
7,056 Posts
Trust me when I tell you that a 250GP bike is hella fast in a corner even with "normal" slicks us mere mortals can get. And a 125GP bike is even better than a 250 in the corners. You haven't seen how fast a bike can attack and rail through a corner until you've seen a good 125 rider!

Oh and by the way, I have seen what a 5 time national AMA 250GP champ can do with a 250 on a track... as he lapped me a couple times!

·
Registered
663 Posts
i think they were saying that the AMA 600cc guys were doing faster times thru the apex of turn 11 at Laguna this year....

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im talkin strictly about corner speed...

When you have over 100 more hp compared to the 2fiddys, then yea you are gona beat them when you get to a straight..

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TZRaceR6 said:
Trust me when I tell you that a 250GP bike is hella fast in a corner even with "normal" slicks us mere mortals can get. And a 125GP bike is even better than a 250 in the corners. You haven't seen how fast a bike can attack and rail through a corner until you've seen a good 125 rider!

Oh and by the way, I have seen what a 5 time national AMA 250GP champ can do with a 250 on a track... as he lapped me a couple times!
Well does a motogp bike have the tech to be able to corner as fast as the 2fiddy and 125 guys, or do they just make up for it w/ brakes and more hp?

·
Registered
293 Posts
TZRaceR6 said:

I agree with the 125 being the quickest on the corners.

http://jrcamerahouse.onpix.com/pro/propListView.asp?plid=851&pid=14

Those are pics from last Sunday and group A have incredibly fast riders, professional racers I must say, I think their group is called Circuit Breakers.

If you notice the guy on the #21 (125cc) he is sooooooooo fast on the corners.. and I mean FAST! It looks like he doesn't slows down at all!!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Watch a 125 GP race and Moto GP race back to back. It will look like the moto gp bike stop for corners compared to the 125's.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
As has been said already. I'm sure that a 250cc will carry as much corner speed as a motogp bike. They have to, to make a good lap time as they don't have the horsepower for the speed of motogp bikes on the straights.

Therefore when you watch a 125/250 race you will see that if a rider looses corner speed/gets it wrong he goes back quite a few places.

You can't base lap times in this arguement. The motogp bike will always win some tracks are just point and squirt. A good 125/250 rider will always carry good corner speed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts