R6 Message Net banner

Expected lifetime of gloves? (not including crashes)

705 views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  blueblur 
#1 ·
I dropped $165 on some A* GP Plus gloves about 2 years ago. Since that time not only did the dye quickly fade from black to gray on the tops of the gloves, but more importantly a few holes began to appear on the left hand glove's pointer and middle finger areas near the seams.

Do you guys consider this normal wear and tear, or abnormal from your experiences?

#2 ·
r6HeavenTNT said:
I dropped $165 on some A* GP Plus gloves about 2 years ago. Since that time not only did the dye quickly fade from black to gray on the tops of the gloves, but more importantly a few holes began to appear on the left hand glove's pointer and middle finger areas near the seams.

Do you guys consider this normal wear and tear, or abnormal from your experiences?
2 years? Are they the only gloves you use? If yes to both, I would say you got your use out of them.

#3 ·
r6HeavenTNT said:

Well i have some A* GP Pros that i wear 99.9% of the time im out. Ive had them for almost a year, and have put over 10k on them this year. They are not worn out yet, but some of the top leather on the palm and fingers is starting to wear off. Kinda looks like tires after they have been used.. Im a little irrated that they are doing this after only a year, but at the same time 10k on a pair of gloves w/ kang is a lot of sweat, oil, gas, rain, mink oil, saddle soap, etc...

#5 ·
Big Deezul said:
They should last one season
One season of what? Multiple track days/races? One-year of daily street use? 10,000miles of use? All summer long, regardless? At the point at which the protective qualities become compromised?

It would seem wise to replace them before any protective abilties are compromised. This is going to range the gamut of subjectivity, and vary drastically with different materials and models. If the materials were standardized in the way that helmets are, it would be an easier estimation, but environmental issues also vary a lot more with glove features, materials, and wear. Some riders seem to be a lot herder o ngloves than others, and many wear differntly than others as well. Not sure if there is a better way, but it's certainly not specific enough to have a set schedule of more than a few hundred miles or a period of a few weeks.

#7 ·
Gotta agree the replacement schedule will vary person-to-person and glove-to-glove.

I would guess that Big D has figured out that he pretty much wears out a set in a year of regular use(for him).

If your gloves are looking like you say they are - I'd say your past due for some new gloves.

#8 ·
Yeah my SP-1's are done after 3 seasons. They look fine more or less but the leather is hard and getting brittle and the black dye gets all over my hands now. Pretty sure they would crack open in a wreck. Probably could have lasted longer with some leather conditioner as i'm not very hard on stuff.

#9 ·
I've got over 15k on these gloves, I'm just disappointed that $165 only goes so far...

To be honest, my old Tour Master gloves I bought when I first got my R6 in 9/01 lasted longer than these high doller gloves.

#10 ·
r6HeavenTNT said:
I've got over 15k on these gloves, I'm just disappointed that $165 only goes so far...

To be honest, my old Tour Master gloves I bought when I first got my R6 in 9/01 lasted longer than these high doller gloves.
Well, the gloves arent made to last.. They are made to protect and still allow you to feel. Either way, if you figure it, 15k is A LOT of time in a glove. Hell, if you did the same thing in a leather work glove, i bet they would be close to worn out.

#12 ·
my nitro something gloves lasted 3-4 years and didn't miss a beat, and ,with regular cleaning etc, still look as good as they did when i got them, and theyv'e only just got a little hole by the wrist after 3 crashes, which is why i got a new pair. £30 bargin
£165 NOT WORTH IT!!!!

#14 ·
I've had about the same experience as you TNT. About a yr and a half or 10-12K miles of riding, same gloves. They are pretty well toast. I think the right hand glove is still usable, but the left hand is gone. The leather between the fingers is mostly rotted out, completely out on the pinky finger.

I think this time I'm going to get the Moto GP gloves. They are about $100, so that's about 60 bucks I'll save. I too had no idea that gloves would wear out so quick when they cost so much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.