R6 Message Net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
will ride for mods
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok why is it that a motorcycles exhaust pipe always come out on the right side of the bike unless it is a dual or undertail? Just curious to see what everyone thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
FreStylMotoX01 said:
ok why is it that a motorcycles exhaust pipe always come out on the right side of the bike unless it is a dual or undertail? Just curious to see what everyone thought.
I'm thinking because the chain is on the left side, shifter etc......just a guess. Never really thought of it.
 

·
will ride for mods
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm...i didn't really put much thought into the question....it is just one of those things that pops in to your mind and it's all down hill from there. good thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Maybe because of the sidestand? I know a few race bikes have had left side exhausts like the RC51 a few years ago and some older Hondas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
i surmised that it's cause bikes are designed for you to mount/dismount from the left and there's less of a chance to burn yourself with the exhuast on the opposite side...idunno. :shrug

kinda like on newer cars how the gas cap is always on the opposite side of the car from the exhuast pipe...a safety sorta thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
^^^ nice bikes but i think exotics and race bikes are the exception to the typical set-up. :wink
 

·
Dragraces too much
Joined
·
1,641 Posts
I think in part becuase if the pipe is on the right and the bike's kickstand is on the left, it's easier to get onto the bike from the left side, and you really don't want to be leaning into a hot pipe.

Some bikes have the pipe on the left if certain aftermarket exhausts are used. If I remember right, the ZX11 used to get left-mounted pipes when a 4-1 was put on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
chiromikey said:
^^^ nice bikes but i think exotics and race bikes are the exception to the typical set-up. :wink
My friend has a sport bike with the exhaust on that side... and it isn't an exotic or a race bike. :shrug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
D-White said:
My friend has a sport bike with the exhaust on that side... and it isn't an exotic or a race bike. :shrug
good for him. it's a general set up and i gave my thoughts. i know there are bikes out there with exhaust on the left. :rolleyes:
 

·
student/pilot/boyfriend:(
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
chiromikey said:
i surmised that it's cause bikes are designed for you to mount/dismount from the left and there's less of a chance to burn yourself with the exhuast on the opposite side...idunno. :shrug

kinda like on newer cars how the gas cap is always on the opposite side of the car from the exhuast pipe...a safety sorta thing.
what if you have 4 tips, 2 on both each side :) on a car I mean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
i would think that it also deals with balance
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top