R6 Message Net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps,

Just wanted to know if anyone has encountered this error code (#18)? My "check engine" light comes out and when you turn off the engine, the error code is the number eighteen (18). Now I have a 2007 Yamaha R6 and bought the Y.E.S warranty for five (5) years. I took it in last month and got it returned saying there was nothing wrong with it. In other words, there was nothing wrong with. A month later and Im still getting the same error code maybe two or three times a week. It comes on for maybe a minute or two then it goes away. Two days later it does the same thing again. I dont know
what to do since Ive already taken it to an approved Yamaha dealership. Can anyone shed some imput on this?

Joaqster

·
ON 1 WHEEL IT IS
86 Posts
there might be a short somewhere in the system, if the light comes on for just a bit and then goes off then there is something in the wiring that is showing a short, My light does that every once in a while because I put different flushmounts in and there is a short in the signal system and it will flash on MAYBE once a month

·
One arm wonder
109 Posts
I have the exact same problem all the time, it started a few months ago, ive had the bike since decmeber and it has almost 6k on it. Code 18 is for the valve in the exhaust system right before it goes into the pipe. Apparently what happens is that the valve gets sticky and doesnt want to move properly, its just supposed to make the exhaust flow a little more efficient. However, I have taken it in to my dealer 3 times and they have tried to adjust the cables that control the valve but no matter what they do, it keeps happening, they keep telling me that its nothing to worry about. If you want to see what I'm talking about, take off that black cowl at the base of the exhaust pipe right behind the right foot peg, then you will be able to see the valve im talking about and the cables attatched to it, but I wouldnt recommend playing with them, take it to the dealer and tell them specifically what the deal is but i dont know what theyll be able to do. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you get any aftermarket exhaust, even just a slip on, you take that valve out completely, so it wont even be an issue, you take away the cables and everything, but you leave the servo motor in place that drives them. Once all the junk is out of the way, I would assume you would just have to go through the code pages in the computer and clear that code 18, again, something the dealer could do if you dont want to fool with it. Anyone please correct me if i'm spouting bad info! Hope this helps man!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks bro. That is exactly what the dealership told me too, I just wanted to be reiterated from someone who also went or is going through this. Guess Ill have to brush it off. Thanks!!

·
One arm wonder
109 Posts
Guys, I got tired of the light coming on all the time so i just diconnected the cables and no more light ever since. I just left the valve in the pipe. No ill effects thus far, dont think there will be any from what ive seen. Gas milage is the same, power is the same, just no more light!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.