R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 294 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just happened recently.. today was the second time in 2 weeks.

When I'm riding.. usually soon after I warm up my bike 130 degrees... I'll be riding for like 20 seconds.. then the engine just turns off.. and I cannot gas it anymore. The lights are still on.. except for the motor. I then stop by the side of the rode... turn off the kill switch.. then turn it back on.. then i press the engine start up button.. then it works again.

Do any of yous know what the problem is?

I have an 03 r6 by the way.. and I have about 9000 miles on it.

p.s. I recently had it taken in to change the rear tire.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
check wiring

check for loose/damaged wiring. When it dies, do you have to turn kill switch on then back off, or can you just push the ignition switch again without having to touch the kill switch?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had the same problem with my 03 after about 5000 miles.
The bike would start cutting out after about 30 mins of riding.
Pretty scary when ur mid way through a corner and you've got no power! I'd stop the bike , turn it off for 10 secs and it'd be fine after that. My Yamy dealer had no idea what the problem was. The problem recurred for a few weeks after and then the bike was fine. Hasn't happened since. ??

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: re: Engine shuts off while riding

Mine did this a few times as well... it wouldn't die while I was on the gas but when I would go up the likes of Palomar mountain outside of San Diego (go form about 1,500ft to 5,000 ft elevation in about 15 minutes) on a hard run then I would get to the top and pullup to the stop sign and release the throttle the RPM's would just drop to off.... I am currently getting my ignition coils replaced... I wonder if this has anythign to do with this problem..
www.click-smilie.de/samml...w.gif[/img[/url]]

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my girlfriend has 03R6 also.

shes had it for maybe 9 months, and i think this has happened to her a total of maybe 8 or 10 times?

she will be riding and the bike will just shut off.
its happened at different stages of riding too.
while shes slowing down to come to a stop, while shifting, and while she cruising at 40mph.
thank god nothings happened to her yet.

took it into yamaha dealership and they didnt know what the problem was. all they did was ride it around and said nothings wrong with it.

seems like this is a common problem with the 03's?

if anyone finds solution to his problem, please post.
thanks!

ride safe!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
low idle

i also noticed that when im at a stoplight with the
03R6, the idle is really low. it feels like the bike is gonna die.
anyone else have this problem too?
maybe im just not used to it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ignition coils perhaps?

I am really wondering if this is all related to that ignition coil problem... and this is just early symptoms

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmmmm

first year fuel injection.... whatcha expect?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: hmmmmmm

Mine does this too...

And I've even just had the new coils put in, and now instead of just occaisonally dying when being hard on the gas, it dies any damn time it pleases. Going fast, going slow, accelerating, on the brakes, holding a constant speed, it doesn't matter, it will die.

In fact, I just got the bike back from the shop with the new '04 coils, and was riding around yesterday, and it died at least 20 to 25 times while I tried to get the bike home. I didn't think I was going to make it, but just as quickly as the problem started, it went away, and let me ride the last 5 miles with out dying once, whereas when it was acting up, would kill itself about once a block.

I'll be going through the electrical myself looking for loose connectors and such, but if any one has another idea, let me know. I'll likely be taking it back to the shop soon if I can't figure it out quickly.

--Dennis

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: hmmmmmm

My friends bike used to do it. He has a TL1000s and it was the kill switch.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

my 01 does it after hard riding and you just stop it sputters then dies oh well

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got my coil replaced, and this thing is happening to me again. Whenever I head to a stop and let go of the clutch, my rpm's just drop to zero. Weird though, if I give it alot of gas I can get it outta first gear, but it would die right when I'm stopping again. I already got '04 coils, I wonder what the deal is?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the same prob on two seperate occasions, both doin it about 10 times. First time is when i put my jardin rt one race baffle on, put the yoshi slipon map in the pcIII and started ridin and the damn thing just cut out a bunch of times. When i got home i put a new map in and didn't have the prob again so this spring i tried the yoshi again it ran better but just kept cuttin out on me again. I put the old map in and haven't had the problem. In my opinion that may be why yamaha has remapped the o4 r6 cause there was a prob with there fuel. I may be wrong but i would think it would be worth takin a look at rather than eat it in a turn.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
asdf

it looks like it could be a fuel problem. For thoseo that this happened too, could you please list if you've had your coils replaced and if you have a PCIII, if so, which map? I first thought the PCIII would cure the problem...but who knows. I have 6600 miles on mine and i haven't had an issue yet.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: asdf

it has happened to me a couple times.....and i thought i bumped the kill switch...

and now that iremember it, i happened on 2 hard bumps.....

i have micron, pcIII and that's it.......oh, the map for the micron.

wtf could it be....i got scared once cuz i was in a corner in traffic....coulda gotten smashed. 8o

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

the only thing i could think of that would do that is a loose connection on the kill switch...
good luck guys and post up if you guys find out...i just bought an 04 R6, newbie on bikes but car racer for years...i'll be looking out for that but so far, nothing is acting up on my 04....
the only thing wrong was a loose bolt on the right side of the handle bar, so i tightened every bolt i could to.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Could be a failure in the lean-angle cut-off switch. I had a guy who would have the same problem, when accelerating hard, or when he would jump the train tracks. He would have to flick the on/off bar switch a few times and the bike would fire up.
There is a way to check the bike for an error code. Get the service manual, or drop it off at your dealer (If bike is still within warranty, chances are Yamaha would pay, especially on a saftey related item). May be worth checking into.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I have a micron can with pcIII map for it.

Only experienced it once when landing a wheelie. Felt like bike ran out of gas.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
engine cutting off `

Mine too and this really sucks ! God I hope someone figures this out ! :cuss

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ight i think i may have found the fix for the engine cuttin out. The last experience of cuttin out was about 2 months ago damn thing wouldn't go even a mile before shuttin off and i was about 300 miles from home. after about the 100th time i decided to stop at the gas station put injector cleaner in witha new tank of gas. Rest of the day was fine. Haven't had the problem since that day so try the injector cleaner might work for you.

BTW it wasn't just that tank of gas that effected me it was all day just got worse through out the day

1 - 20 of 294 Posts