R6 Message Net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy my girlfriend works with is thinking about getting a dual sport. Not really sure what his riding experience is yet, but I don't think he has ridden much (since he's asking my GF to ask me about it). I'm just looking for some information to pass along to him. What bikes should he be looking at? Is there a R6MN for dual sports? Any good online resources.

·
Registered
87 Posts
before it moves, tell him to get a suzuki drz400sm. street legal tard with decent off road capability. tell him to check the classifieds at supermotojunkie.com for used bikes. When he gets tired of the tard and wants a sportbike, ill buy it off of him.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well seeing most factory dualsports are heavy and bulky, I made my own by converting a MX bike:thumbup Very lite, lot's of power and hadles whatever you put it threw. I'd go with a KTM because they are easiest to register. I have a 04 KTM 450sx:smilecool

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
suzuki dr's are awesome bullitproof bikes. i had a dr350 that was small enough to keep me out of trouble but light enough to make the small torquey motor do a pretty good job of scootin' that thing around.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
jetcycles said:
before it moves, tell him to get a suzuki drz400sm. street legal tard with decent off road capability. tell him to check the classifieds at supermotojunkie.com for used bikes. When he gets tired of the tard and wants a sportbike, ill buy it off of him.
before i bought my R6, i was almost ready to buy that, once they came out there were $7,499 CND, i rode it on suzukis Demo day, wow at about 130 km, on the highway i never got such a scary woble, i guess the front fender is really high up for that dirt bike look, but once air gets under there, its acts like an airplane wing and lifts up the whole front fronts and front end etc..... really fun bike but after doing a 50min demo my crotch was killing, and im 6'2'' and my feet just flat on the ground, anyone under 5'11' will have a hard time just sitting on the bike. It remindes me of riding a tall ass horse or something, but about the price they were $6499 after about a month because no one was buying and last tiime i walked in there they were going for $5,899

Jerz

·
Registered
249 Posts
Jerzy said:
before i bought my R6, i was almost ready to buy that, once they came out there were $7,499 CND, i rode it on suzukis Demo day, wow at about 130 km, on the highway i never got such a scary woble, i guess the front fender is really high up for that dirt bike look, but once air gets under there, its acts like an airplane wing and lifts up the whole front fronts and front end etc..... really fun bike but after doing a 50min demo my crotch was killing, and im 6'2'' and my feet just flat on the ground, anyone under 5'11' will have a hard time just sitting on the bike. It remindes me of riding a tall ass horse or something, but about the price they were $6499 after about a month because no one was buying and last tiime i walked in there they were going for $5,899

Jerz
It's not the front fender causing the wobble, it's the geometry of the front end. When I first started racing Motards I had the same wobble going on, 80-100mph while on the gas? All I did was tighten up the rear spring 4 or 5 turns (until there was no static sag) and the wobble went away. :thumbup

I've done 200+ mile days on the KTM and yeah, your crotch gets a bit sore but with the fun factor, you don't even notice it:kickinnut

·
Shameless Rossifumi
1,337 Posts
MyYamR7 said:
I've done 200+ mile days on the KTM and yeah, your crotch gets a bit sore but with the fun factor, you don't even notice it:kickinnut
I don't know about you - but I ALWAYS notice when my crotch is sore and take great caution in the fact, because that's where the MOST fun comes from.
Crotches first my friends, then your bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
my third bike is a brand new 06 husky smr510 motard. i love it!!! i only recommended the zook b/c of it's bulletproof engine and buildability (sp). not the greatest tard out there by any means, but fun for a showroom bike. Check out the 06 lineup at husqvarnausa.com and look at the 450 and 510 motards. I hated to write the check for $7100 but i don't regret it(yet). ride safe guys.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
MyYamR7 said:
It's not the front fender causing the wobble, it's the geometry of the front end. When I first started racing Motards I had the same wobble going on, 80-100mph while on the gas? All I did was tighten up the rear spring 4 or 5 turns (until there was no static sag) and the wobble went away. :thumbup

KTM'S are amazing machines, we finally got a local dealer, i know the owners, Extreme Sports, they became a KTM dealer about 3 months ago, wow i got to demo some of those bad ass dirt bikes, AMAZING!

·
Registered
249 Posts
MackeR6 said:
I don't know about you - but I ALWAYS notice when my crotch is sore and take great caution in the fact, because that's where the MOST fun comes from.
Crotches first my friends, then your bike.
It's not exactly the "jewls" that get the abuse riding a tard, it's your inner thighs that get sore:thumbup

KTM'S are amazing machines, we finally got a local dealer, i know the owners, Extreme Sports, they became a KTM dealer about 3 months ago, wow i got to demo some of those bad ass dirt bikes, AMAZING!
They're not bad, I only bought it because I got such a kick ass deal on it... and they are easy to street register. The one I have, at the time came new as a motard and a month later KTM sends you ALL the MX gear (tires, rims, brakes, plastics, and extra sprockets) at no extra cost:thumbup

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
They're not bad, I only bought it because I got such a kick ass deal on it... and they are easy to street register. The one I have, at the time came new as a motard and a month later KTM sends you ALL the MX gear (tires, rims, brakes, plastics, and extra sprockets) at no extra cost

sweet deal, how'd yea pull that off?

·
Registered
87 Posts
He is correct about the KTm registration issue since KTM's MSO does not state "for off road use only". makes the process wayyyyy easier when you go down to the DMV. all 06 huskies(motard setup) are street legal off the showroom floor, if that makes and difference.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Jerzy said:
sweet deal, how'd yea pull that off?
Ktm was running a special to move some left over models last year. The bike is a 2004 and I bought it in Febuary of 2005. I got the bike new with $2k worth of extras for $5,600.
I took the factory title to the DMV like you would if you bought a R6, paid the fees and walked out with a street plate:thumbup
I've also done the same thing at the DMV with a Yamaha WR450 but I just got lucky that day:wink

1 - 17 of 17 Posts