R6 Message Net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. Has anyone got rid of their chain guard? Did anyone else take that Drive chain guard out too? I found out that my chain's been rubbing against the drive chain guard and making funny noises. Now, the noises are gone.!! :thumbup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
you know I keep mine on. But alot of people ride without them. Especially around my area. I dont know why but they do. I would definetly look at your alignment though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
yup, my bike didnt come with one either, but if it had come with one, i wouldent take it off as a bandaid fix, i would find out what was really wrong and fix that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
The chain guard is the first thing I take off any of my bikes... then the safety stickers, then the reflectors, and then the mirrors...:thumbup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
is there something cool about taking those off. Like an tail eliminator kit. I mean its obvious they put that chain guard there for a reason???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
phat_r6 said:
is there something cool about taking those off. Like an tail eliminator kit. I mean its obvious they put that chain guard there for a reason???

Its there so if your chain fly's off you dont end up with it cutting into your leg or mesing up your swingarm. Most racers take them of because they are constantly changing gearing and messing with their chains. Plus it is added weight that really isnt "required".... yep that 6oz adds up..:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
brassballs1979 said:
Its there so if your chain fly's off you dont end up with it cutting into your leg or mesing up your swingarm. Most racers take them of because they are constantly changing gearing and messing with their chains. Plus it is added weight that really isnt "required".... yep that 6oz adds up..:)
Wrong... those plastic "chain guards" break at the mounts and fly off the second a chain breaks... Beleive me, I've seen it happen... those guards are only to protect from lube on the chain...:2cents
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
FarrOut said:
Wrong... those plastic "chain guards" break at the mounts and fly off the second a chain breaks... Beleive me, I've seen it happen... those guards are only to protect from lube on the chain...:2cents

I agree that is isnt "fool proof", but I have seen them where they did there job also. I think it varies so much by RPM whether they work or not. However, they were put there by Yamaha in case your chain breaks. Now, if this is a good idea I am not sure..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
I didn't read the entire thread, but from that pic, I can tell you that even if the chain guard was on, it will woun't have helped... it looks like the chain went straight up off the back of the rear sprocket...

Beleive me, I've seen an instance where a chain came flying off, ripped the chain guard clean off and proceeded to take out the case
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
That pic you posted is from an expert racers bike. I doubt he had a chain guard in place. Once again, I am not saying the damn thing works all the time (I have seen where it has helped and where it hasnt done shit) I am saying what Yamaha intended it to be for.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top