R6 Message Net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tips for not totally botching drilling a couple nuts for some safety wire with just a hand held drill? i've torqued the bolts (rear brake caliper bolts) and marked where the hole should go with a sharpie but what sort of things might i do to ensure within reason that i don't completely waste the things? or should i just pony up and either buy a harbor freight drill press(space issue more than $ issue) or pay a machine shop to do it for me?
 

·
Woody Racing #409
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
if possible i would splurge for the drill press but if space is that big of an issue you can do it with a drill just by being very careful
prop the drill on something if you can to keep it as still as possible and take your time it shouldn't be too hard to make it work. I think i drilled my oil drain plug while it was on the bike and it turned out well
 

·
Race Whore
Joined
·
1,958 Posts
Just take your time and dont push too hard..let the bits do the work...and yes have plenty of spares...I've done plenty at races with no press when I had to
 

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
Joined
·
3,322 Posts
You can do it with a hand drill, but a press will make it 10x easier. And have plenty of extra bits.. I think i either dulled or broke prob 25 bits doing every bolt that i could think would ever need to be safety wired.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
Find and use 1/16" cobalt bits. I don't use a press, and can do a whole bike with 3 or 4 bits max. For a nut, center punch where you want to start and drill a little, back it out, angle it a little, back it out, repeat until you're pointed thru the corner and then just keep going right on thru. Ease off when you're about to break thru the other side. You can see a dimple forming, and hear the drill motor change it's tune when it's about to break thru. I put a dab of grease on the vice and dip the bit in it every so often to lube it. You can always practice on a few junk nuts before you drill your good ones.
 

·
Woody Racing #409
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
ok ya'll must be using the wrong bits or doing something wrong cause i drilled my whole bike and only broke 1 bit, lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,078 Posts
airforce101t said:
ok ya'll must be using the wrong bits or doing something wrong cause i drilled my whole bike and only broke 1 bit, lol
Damn, what kind of technique do you use.

I'll get through a few screws/nuts and then my bit breaks.

I'll usually buy at least half a dozen at a time and then stop when I'm out of bits.
 

·
Sliding past you!
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
I have actually done my whole bike with only about 4 bits and only use a cordles drill and a vice.

Like RZ350 said use a center punch for the nuts and bolts and use WD40 to help lubricate while drilling.

1st Place nut or bolt in vice, punch it, then drill and lubricate and be careful.:thumbup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
I use good quality 3/32 drill bits, and can generally do an entire bike in one or two bits. Use cutting oil (wd-40 isn't cutting oil) and drill at a medium speed and you will slice right through the bolts. I hand drill everything and just put the bolt in a vice if it isn't easy to get to it on the bike.

-Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
I used titanium when I did my bike. No press just put the bolts in a vise with a level and kept the little bubble level on the back of the drill in place. I think I broke two but I sharpened them on a grinder where they broke and they still worked fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
DeFran R6 R1 said:
I have actually done my whole bike with only about 4 bits and only use a cordles drill and a vice.

Like RZ350 said use a center punch for the nuts and bolts and use WD40 to help lubricate while drilling.

1st Place nut or bolt in vice, punch it, then drill and lubricate and be careful.:thumbup

Oh, yeah sorry but I have to call BS on this one. :bs Bart told me the same thing when he offered to help me drill a hole in one bolt, then proceded to break the last two remaining bits I had and we wound up haveing to use sealant anyway. What kind of magic bits were these or are you kind of a slow starter and break all four bits on the first nut/bolt.

LP makes a drill jig that helps keep everything straight, I use that or better yet have a machine shop do it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
1/16 in. cobalt bits. I have an air driven drill motor that seems to turn at just the right speed, and use a bench vice. Drilling at the track, or fasteners on the bike never works for me. I never had much luck with those jigs from LP either.

Don't get me wrong, I used to tear some shit up when I first started. Drilling for lock wire is something you get a feel for after a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
z-man said:
Oh, yeah sorry but I have to call BS on this one. :bs Bart told me the same thing when he offered to help me drill a hole in one bolt, then proceded to break the last two remaining bits I had and we wound up haveing to use sealant anyway. What kind of magic bits were these or are you kind of a slow starter and break all four bits on the first nut/bolt.

LP makes a drill jig that helps keep everything straight, I use that or better yet have a machine shop do it.
Most people drill WAY to fast, which heats up the bit and snaps in very quickly. It is essential to drill at more of a medium to slow pace with a good quality bit and a steady hand. After a couple holes you should have the hang of it and have no problems.

-Nick
 

·
Sliding past you!
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
z-man said:
Oh, yeah sorry but I have to call BS on this one. :bs Bart told me the same thing when he offered to help me drill a hole in one bolt, then proceded to break the last two remaining bits I had and we wound up haveing to use sealant anyway. What kind of magic bits were these or are you kind of a slow starter and break all four bits on the first nut/bolt.

LP makes a drill jig that helps keep everything straight, I use that or better yet have a machine shop do it.
Your funny Dave, I can't quite remember but I though I got it done for you and remember we were at the track and we had no vice and we were drilling on your aluminum table and your battery was going dead.
I don't know I could be wrong, I can't remember that long ago.:myfault
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
DeFran R6 R1 said:
Your funny Dave, I can't quite remember but I though I got it done for you and remember we were at the track and we had no vice and we were drilling on your aluminum table and your battery was going dead.
I don't know I could be wrong, I can't remember that long ago.:myfault
Excuses, excuses, actually on second thought I think we may have gotten the hole drilled but I just couldn't resist giving you a hard time.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top