R6 Message Net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got both front and rear stands but I thought I read or heard somewhere that it wasn't good for the bike's front to be on stands for a long time b/c of it'll compress the shocks or some shit like that. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or heard of any negatives of using the front stand for an extended period of time. I'm about to put the bike away & wanted to make sure.

·
student/pilot/boyfriend:(
3,174 Posts
umm correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the forks compressed when the bike isn't on stands. I have mone on a newfront (forks extended) and an SS rear for the winter.

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
as firetire said, the forks are compressed when its sitting anyways, only way the forks wouldnt be somewhat compresses is if it was on a head lift stand.

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
Yep... When it isnt on stands, the front is compressed some, however if you have a headlift stand they will uncompress. If you have one, lift it up and you will see the front wheel drop as you lift it.

Also, the reason for the stands is mainly for flat spoting your tires, as far as storage is concerned.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is a headlift stand the "normal" front stand? I've got the checkered flag ones and I thought they went under the holes on the....I think it's called triple clamps.

·
student/pilot/boyfriend:(
3,174 Posts
is it a single pin that goes into the steering stem or does it lift by the bottom of the forks?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Headlift has a single pin that lifts by the lower triple clamp. "Regular style" stands just lift by the bottom of the forks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts