R6 Message Net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new to the forum here.

I thumb through the "Definitive Oil Thread" and a did a brief search, and I didn't see anything-- so here it is. Did my first oil & filter change on a '00 R6, put 2.8 quarts in it (or whatever the manual said)... but even after running the bike for about about 25 miles, it still reads low on the dip stick. The oil light isn't coming on, engine sounds fine, no over heating, just the friggin dip stick reads low. Weird..... it has me perplexed. Anyone ever had this problem?

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Hold the bike straight up and down, and check the dipstick.

Do not check it on the side stand because you will get a false reading.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
it always did seem odd to me that "they" couldn't just make the dipstick / window such that it was readable while on the side stand seems like the stick would just need to be longer or the window lower :shrug

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Jumperalex said:
it always did seem odd to me that "they" couldn't just make the dipstick / window such that it was readable while on the side stand seems like the stick would just need to be longer or the window lower :shrug

I know... but, thats how it tells you to do it in the manual, so I dunno lol...

·
Registered
44 Posts
it says in the manual to stand your bike up when checking the oil. The bike is leaning so of course you will get a false reading.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I find it easiest to just sit on the bike... that way you can support the bike steady on both sides with your feetz... and just read down and check the dipstick.... easy as pie (if you put it on a rearstand i'm sure it elevates the rear of the bike to shift enough oil to the front to give it a false reading... just sit on the bike

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
minig0d said:
(if you put it on a rearstand i'm sure it elevates the rear of the bike to shift enough oil to the front to give it a false reading... just sit on the bike
Nope. I checked, it doesn't. not enough to even notice or matter. Also consider that unless you are pulling out the bubble level to check your floor (most garages are sloped for water drainage BTW) your bike is already tilted. In that case if you face the bike "uphill" putting it on a stand can actually help. Point is, it is small enough to not matter considering the other factors.

I, like many racers, don't have kick stands so not only does it require work to be performed on the rear stand but it also means going back and forth between the stand and sitting on it would be a PITA.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Thrak said:
I know... but, thats how it tells you to do it in the manual, so I dunno lol...
Oh yeah I know that. I'm just saying it would seem so easy to make it so you could check it leaning. of course that would make what I said above really annoying so perhaps that is the reason :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts