R6 Message Net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a wrecked R6 a while back and i'm almost done with buying all the parts to repair it. One thing though. The tank has this dent in it. Was wondering if there was a way to get it out. Every heard of Ding King? LoL. Feedback would be great. Thnx guys.

Neighborhood Newb

·
Registered
87 Posts
that would require an immense amount of pressure to pop out that dent like that. one dry ice urban legend is to use dry ice to supercool the dent and then hit it up with a heat gun. not sure if this works, but prolly better than trying to put the dry ice in the tank.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
jetcycles said:
that would require an immense amount of pressure to pop out that dent like that. one dry ice urban legend is to use dry ice to supercool the dent and then hit it up with a heat gun. not sure if this works, but prolly better than trying to put the dry ice in the tank.
i see your point, but wouldnt the sudden change in intense cold to intesne hot do a number on the paint...assuming he is interested in keeping the paint...or if the paint is still intact..lol

·
Sperm Bank Loan Officer
1,599 Posts
If there is a crease in it you wont get it all out. Since your painting it spot weld a nail to it and use a dent puller/slide hammer. It will need a little body filler and sanding to make it disappear.

·
#1 member
2,807 Posts
removing a dent in anything thick like the tank will have to be pushed out. giving the limited space and the location of the dent it may never be able to be removed. given its size it may be able to be covered with body filler. I suggest asking the body repair shop you go to for their advise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
another option is to consult with one of theose "paintless dent removal" guys. I used to have a buddy that did this process, and they rub the dent out from the inside using special tools, but once again, i'm not sure about this situation either. as far as the quick change from cold to hot with the dry ice technique, it is my understanding that this change causes the dent to "pop" out.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
There is going to be very few locations where you could use paint less dent repair. It would probably be best to weld a stud in the center of the dent and use a slid hammer to pull it out like bull dog said. Then sand it down a little and use some filler and its ready for paint.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I've had pretty good luck bending steel bar stock and going thru the filler opening and beating the dents out from the inside. The stud pullers work O.K. , but alot of the time they will rip out because the tank is pretty thin. Striking that first arc on the tank always get the old heart pumping too...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
You have a ding in your tank not a dent. j/k This is a dent! Pic from after my wreck!!

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Dino One said:
You have a ding in your tank not a dent. j/k This is a dent! Pic from after my wreck!!

My brother had a similar experience....its amazing how small balls can make such a big dent

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
jetcycles said:
:rollin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts