R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dec 5,it was a dark and cold day with flurries. the roads appear dry but slick i imagine. it was the day i dreaded all season, hibernation day! i took the bike around the block and to the gas station for its final trip. its funny how people look at you like your nuts. old people shun you for just being a kid on a bike while everyone else tells you to watch the roads and ask;"arnt you cold?" "well no shit!"; i think quietly to myself. i was bundled up in icon gear from head to toe w a heavy layer of thermo's on. even though the thermometer read 30 w wind chill it obviously feels bellow zero when goin over 60mph. but with my ride nearing an end and the store n lock storage facility just around the corner i wasnt about to lose my focus on the climate and the handling of my 6. but loe n behold at my final turn just a block from my unit, the rear tire slides. i quickly straighten the bike out, throwing it up right and with the gentle squeeze of my right hand the bike slows from 40-0. damn! i amost dropped it!!! the closest ive been to all season. i had this one coming. its fuckin dec 5 in new jersey and this is what i get. so how long did you procrastinate before you put your bike to rest for the winter?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
saefirebird said:
Arizona...still riding! What's this winter you speak of?! :wink

Glad to hear you kept it upright!!
**throws up on self** ahh you guys out west... well im in the air force and tryin to get an assignment out west around cali, where my wife is from. unfortunatly ive delt with these cold, slick, white, days, since a kid. i grew up in new york and then the air force sends me to work in jersey.

·
Registered
789 Posts
hesaves0211 said:
so how long did you procrastinate before you put your bike to rest for the winter?
About 3 weeks ago. It was around 40 degrees and I thought I'd better get it to my parents garage before it gets too cold. I usually put it away at the end of October. Under Armor cold gear worked great for 40 degrees. Don't know how well it would hold up against 30 degrees and 40 mph.

·
Phi Alpha
1,518 Posts
hesaves0211 said:
I grew up in new york and then the air force sends me to work in jersey.
Yeah, growing up in Chicago and with my girlfriend being in central IL, I get my fair share of ice, snow, and rain when I head out there.

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
Hibernation? WTF is that? :lol

My bike will actually be taken apart, and the gas drained from the bike and a few other things so i can ship it. Then out to AZ, where its 63*.

·
Red '05 R6
324 Posts
I grew up in Upstate NY and know the harsh winters as well. I do miss it sometimes.

However, living in Southern California, I will be able to commute to work tomorrow on my R6 like always.

But hey, who wants to afford a house anyway. The East Coast does have some advantages.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
thats kinda scary, i didnt take out my baby for 4 weeks and for some reason i said well today im gonna take her out, i did for about 8 minutes to fill her up and bring her back, there was black ice everywhere, i forgot it was -8 outside

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
syallen said:
I grew up in Upstate NY and know the harsh winters as well. I do miss it sometimes.

.. The East Coast does have some advantages.
where you from in upstate, im originally from syracuse. the only advantages i can think of when it comes to riding is keepin the bikes mileage low. other than that...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jerzy said:
thats kinda scary, i didnt take out my baby for 4 weeks and for some reason i said well today im gonna take her out, i did for about 8 minutes to fill her up and bring her back, there was black ice everywhere, i forgot it was -8 outside
"your, your crazy man-your fuckin crazy, i like you but your crazy"

·
Red '05 R6
324 Posts
hesaves0211 said:
where you from in upstate, im originally from syracuse. the only advantages i can think of when it comes to riding is keepin the bikes mileage low. other than that...

I'm originally from a shitty little rural town just outside of Rochester. Actually half way to Syarcuse.

Housing prices in Cali are miserable. All my friends back East are dealing with the winter but the have reasonable mortgages.

·
Dragraces too much
1,641 Posts
IL. It's under freezing all week.

The bike will be offically put away when I get this #$%#%$# gasket under the clutch cover... of course, I can't do that while it's so cold... hrm....

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
syallen said:
I'm originally from a shitty little rural town just outside of Rochester. Actually half way to Syarcuse.

Housing prices in Cali are miserable. All my friends back East are dealing with the winter but the have reasonable mortgages.
no shit where ever you go in cali the real estate is boomin. i was out there last summer to visit the inlaws and even a shitty lil town like oroville cost so much. then when i went to la and san diego-holy shit talk about sun shine tax! expensive but those lived there since the 70's or 80's can sell their lil homes for mad dough. i sure as hell wouldnt leave though

·
Registered
693 Posts
I put mine away a couple of weeks ago just before the first layer of salt hit the ground.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Glad you saved it dude.. That's the last thing you want before storing her.. I put the bike a while ago. It's freezing temps here in VA for the past couple of days. But I rode her the day before the snow came(yesterday)

Now i'm tearing apart the bike to get it track ready. and also sending out my headlights to SAE for the conversion..

·
Registered
220 Posts
saefirebird said:
Arizona...still riding! What's this winter you speak of?! :wink

Glad to hear you kept it upright!!

Probably going to Jennings for my birthday next weekend, gotta love tracks in FL :thumbup Lookin like the high will be about 65, perfect track weather :D :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts