R6 Message Net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a daytona 675 out today as I'm thinking off getting something newer & with a bit more torque as most of my riding is on the road with the odd trackday... great engine nice low down grunt & also has a nice top end rush if you keep it pinned & the sound.... its addictive even if you don't want to buy one just get a go on one to find out.

Anyone on here no much about them in relibality terms????
Magazines have gave it good right ups.
I have heard they can use a bit of oil if ridden hard but just have to keep an eye on it

Need to make my mind up if i can afford it or not....or just get a second hand R1 instead.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Not tried a 675 (but want to). I have heard they use a bit of oil and I know more than one magazine has blown one up, which would concern me (I'd probably buy new or at least from a dealer for piece of mind)

As for a secondhand R1, I had one (03 model) between my last R6 (03) and my current R6 (07). I found it too much for the road. I get more pleasure out of revving a 600, then I did on the R1.

Saying all that, looking at something totally different for next year. Superduke, Speed Triple, Tuono, maybe FZ1.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going to see if i can get a go on a low mileage 03 R1 I spotted tomorow at a dealer if they let me to see what I think of it. Would be cheaper than Daytona option & sticking with a Yamaha!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Upgrade time for Lee then :thumbup you lucky bugger.

Did you get a ride on the R1 then ? I have to admit that the 03's are damn sexy.

I remember Surf's 675 form the 07 meet, and seem to recall that the paint was going a bit thin and scratchy on the tank at less than 1 year old. It may have been down to his leathers, or maybe he grips the tank very hard, but still not very good for a bike of that age.
Perhaps that was a one off, but I suggest you try and look at the quality of finish on some 2nd hand 675's when making the decision as I get the feeling that they might not cope with a british winter as well as some Jap stuff.
The engine characteristic is really appealing though.

Good luck and happy shopping whatever you decide.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have had one for 1 year

I bought my 06 plate grey 675 a year ago (off ebay) and have done a few thousand miles and it cost under £5K. Its worth it just because old men come up to you to discuss the bikes of their youth (which they think bear any relation) as oppose to usually when they treat you like the child of satan.

Reliability:
It does drink oil (my GSXR 750 never drunk a drop) so I have to keep an eye and put in a litre from time to time.
It also has a plastic coolant pipe elbow which is a 'known issue' (on the bulletin boards (see http://www.triumph675.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26) and broke peeing all the coolant over my feet when I was riding it. Cost £35 to replace at dealership as apparently its a consumable which annoyed me a lot.
The finish is looking a little worse than two years old may suggest (particularly fasteners) and the underseat exhaust and shock get very mucky and are hard to clean properly.
Its not blown up yet (or shown signs) and I think that one can be put down to bike journo brutality.

It is a great bike though - the engine is fantastic, never needs revving out to get the best. It is a bit harder to get the speed as its geared a bit short - you'll need 4th to see 140 and it tops out a bit earlier than the fours. Within sensible speeds though its far easier to ride due to the torque.

The riding position suits me but not really anyone 'bigger' (I'm 5'10, 12st). Its also a great commuter due to torque and narrow (filtering) width.

Overall - buy one immediately - you'll grow to love it more than your 600-4 almost for its faults. and its British and good and that's worth it alone

Cheers

Richard

·
Wat up DAWG!!!
3,037 Posts
do it!! i did and i love mine
mines a 07 and it looks like new, the only area the finish could be improved imo id the fuel filler cap which seems to chip easily from the fuel pump
im quite big and i have no probs fitting on it and its amazing how many people admire it :thumbup

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did like the daytona engine & looks but my back was aching more than usual the day after riding it i'm 6ft 2" so I think its no on that reason but a very nice bike went well handled ok when you got used to the taller feeling bit stiff for b roads though maybe a few clicks would sort that.
Going to try the R1 & GSXR 1000 soon not keen on the blade for some reason & the 04 on R1 is out of my budget I would by one of these on looks alone, Decide after if its worth splashing out ££££ changing the R6 or not hhhmmm decisions

·
2008 Triumph 675
7,056 Posts
Own two of them (an 07 and an 08) and race both. Not a single issue thus far. The coolant elbows can be rplaced for cheap if you get the metal ones found for 5 for $10 USD.

The only other real issue is the triangular piece at the bottom of the dogbone. They have been known to break in a crash. I simply bought another set and doubled them up.

It's a great bike and fell in love the first time I sat on one (which was a race weekend - it was my crew chief's.)

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I'm 6Ft 2" ish and loved my test ride on the 675, plenty of them racing fast around Pembrey the other weekend when the Endurance teams where there.

The noise they make and the fact it is British makes you like them, Glen Richards doesn't seem to have a problem on his in BSS now does he.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys seem pretty reliable so far coolant connectors are an easy fix so not a big issue. After thinking on it I have decided not to get one but a great looking sounding bike with great drive out the corners.

Fracturman
I want something I can take touring, commute, out for blast & the odd trackday without to much discomfort as I expect a little from a sports bike fair enough. Tried the daytona loved it but to my dissapointment it done my back in more than usual but thats a personal thing some people could get on with it fine, others won't. Not slating the bike its just not the allrounder for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts