R6 Message Net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would give some info on the cutoff relay on my son's bike.
The bike is a 1996 YZF600R. I would think that other cutoff relays on other Yamaha bikes are at least similar to this one. My main thought of this is to show that the relay is repairable. The schematic of the cutoff relay in the shop manual and Haynes manual are pretty well accurate except for the resistor . Actually, there are two resistors in parallel. This was possibly done this way because of size constraints of the box. Just guessing though. The resistors colour codes are brown, blue, black, gold. (16 ohms 5% / 8 ohms overall (they are in parallel); confirmed with ohm meter). The numbers on the outside of the relay are;
3EN-81950 00 / G8R-30Y-B / OMRON JAPAN / 0825D2

THE PROBLEM

First, I had an electrical problem with the bike running then cutting out. A wire connection in the Ignition key switch was breaking away (has been repaired now). The wire easily pulled out of the switch body. I cut off the 4 pin connector and shorted all 4 wires together. I did this since I wanted to continue troubleshooting without first repairing the key switch. According to both manuals, the schematic symbol showing the key switch shows all wires connecting together with the key in the on position. I had not yet opened the key switch to repair it. Well, that was a mistake. All 4 wires are not to be connected together. The symbol is wrong according to my training or I read the symbol incorrectly. The larger two wires connect together and the smaller two wires connect together. My mistake. I assumed.

All was not lost. Fortunately the Ignition module still works and the relay can be repaired. Since I put all 4 wires together, 12 volts was applied to a part of the circuit that should not have had 12 volts on it. In the relay, just 1 foil trace overheated and blew apart. Another foil trace heated up but stayed connected. A new jumper will be put in place of the missing trace then varnish applied over the foil traces to seal it from moisture. The cutoff relay uses silicone to seal the circuit board into its box.

Wallet Font

Electronics Technology Electronic device Electronic component Audio equipment

Text Product Headstone Font Memorial

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update

Thought I should let you know that all is OK. The relay works fine (starter circuit functioning as designed). I had individually checked out the components before and after doing the repair. Son is happy and back on the road again.

Safe Riding All

1 - 5 of 5 Posts