R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after running by the local Honda dealer with me Dad (looking at cruisers for him) I took a look at the new CBRs with the undertail exhaust. It got me thinking... is there anyway to custom mount a pipe under the tail of an 05 R6?

Has anyone tried this? It looks like there is enough space for a small oval carbon fiber pipe (which is what they had mounted on the CBR). I would think you could bend the pipes from a high-mount exhaust to get the pipe under the seat.

Got some questions.

1. I read on here somewhere that highmount pipes are not as efficient / powerful as low mounts. Is that correct and if so why? Only thing I can figure is having more bends in the piping.

2. Are Carbon Fiber pipes much cooler than metal pipes? I don't wanna burn the plastics under the tail.

So, if this is really stupid idea please let me know :kickinnut

Thanks!
Andy

·
my other hobby
714 Posts
yes this is a stupid idea... JK. FYI they already make undertail exhausts for our bike. IXIL, WOLF, HOTBODIES to name a few. i would be rather simple to fab a midpipe and mount it under the tail, but would it be worth it... only for aesthetic purposes. it would do nothing for performance and actually may constrict it a tad.

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
to answer #2, carbon fiber cans are cooler than standard aluminum cans.

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
Hotbodies Racing Undertail Exhaust

Wolf Undertail Exhaust

IMHO, I HATE the undertail look. It just looks better with either a high-mount or a shorty can like the 2006 R6.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen pics of those undertails that you mentioned... and they do nothing for me ;-) I kinda figured the performance might get hurt a little, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm no where close to getting the true performance out of my bike just yet.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
989 Posts
^^hahahhaha.......... its a good idea. but to me i dont like the trend of undertail exhaust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
here you go the best thi8ng i like about it on my bike is that it sounds good

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah water proof fabric not a fleece feels like one though

·
Registered
294 Posts
thats weird

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
bipolar05 said:
here you go the best thi8ng i like about it on my bike is that it sounds good
You must have gone deaf because the hot bodies is one of the worst sounding exhaust I have ever head.

·
Registered
114 Posts
shimmy said:
yes this is a stupid idea... JK. FYI they already make undertail exhausts for our bike. IXIL, WOLF, HOTBODIES to name a few. i would be rather simple to fab a midpipe and mount it under the tail, but would it be worth it... only for aesthetic purposes. it would do nothing for performance and actually may constrict it a tad.
I can't speak of the sound, but Hot Bodies looks like $hit!! Just plan stupid. You left one company off your list http://www.dynomite.co.uk/. They are kind pricey, but they do it right. Instead of simply routing the pipe around the swing arm, they actually reweld the siwing arm and run the pipe up the middle and back. Looks way cleaner and more balanced. Very close to installing one on my ride this winter.

I personally love the look of the undertail exhaust and my next ride will have it - end of story. Ever since I saw what's his name burn his A$$ when his seat caught fire on the Discovery Channel during a Biker Build off ride. It became a "must have"

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
wow thats does look better then the hot bodies

·
Registered
11 Posts
Azr6 said:
You must have gone deaf because the hot bodies is one of the worst sounding exhaust I have ever head.
well every man for his self right , dont know but it sounds better then a big ass can

1 - 20 of 25 Posts