R6 Message Net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Thursday I stuffed my car into a concrete pole. :myfault My head connected with the a-pillar and the lower orbital and cheek bones on the left side of my head are all broken. Left side of face swollen up all huge. Everything else is fine, or close enough. Now the only vehicle Ive got left is the six.

I have to go back for plastic surgery to put titanium plates and fasteners in my face to fasten those bones, because the chewing muscles attach to those bones. I imagine that the bones need to heal together too, but I don't know, I haven't had my first plastic surgery appointment yet.

For any doctors out there, or any people who've already had their head 'screwed back together', how long until its safe to put my helmet back on? Right now, based on the size of my head, its not a physical possibility, but I also don't want to be riding around with a broken melon inside my helmet, which could get really really damaged in the eventuality of a crash.

Matt

oh yeah if this is the wrong forum, move it, wasnt sure if this was good or not

·
To the Track Stat!!!
1,473 Posts
If its like any broken bone, it should take approx 6-8 weeks, until there is some bone calcification. I've never broke my face, but basing upon the info you provided, it'll be a while before you can strap on you helmet again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wanting information specific to facial/skull healing. I know how long broken limbs take because Ive done that one too.

Matt

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had a hairline fractured ankle and it healed in 1 month.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
it all depends on the person. I am studying X-ray Tech/Radiology so I have a little insight.

What I would recommend is wait until they've pinned you and you've had a chance to go in for your first checkup before even bringing it up. They'll probably tell you to stay outta riding for a little bit until all the reconstruction is finished. The big question is how you broke orbital and Zygomatic (cheek) bone. That's the key in heal time right there. If it's just a standard clean break then you heal time will be a month or two. But if you have multiple fractures and they are concerned about the stress from your massiter (chewing muscle right at the back of your check) pulling on the fracture then the might wire you up.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
wow, sorry to hear about your accident! Hope you heal quick! And I thought my recent broken collar bone was painful...LOL
Were you wearing a seat belt?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts