R6 Message Net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it all depends on size, location, types of events, etc.

BUT!!!

How much do you all think it would cost to build a racetrack?

Assumptions:
1) It would be in the middle of no where so land would be relatively cheap
2) The land would be relatively flat, so little excavating/landscaping would be needed
3) Would not have all the fancy pits/grandstands/parking....

Basically, what would it cost to build a racetrack that isn't used for major events. Somthing for personal use or for rental.

After the land, I think the paving would be the next most expensive part.

Also, I'm sure there are licencing/permits you would have to get...but if it was a non-commercial track I don't know what they would be.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Land is the cheap part, it's the paving process and upkeep that's $$$

There's three levels, imo

A typical track good enough to host CCS/WERA etc.... 10 - 30 Million
A typical track good enough to host AMA: 30 - 50 Million
A typical track good enough to host MotoGP: 50+

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy shit...I wasn't thinking in the 10's of millions....heck, I was thinking more in the line of 1-2 million for a personal track.

Ohh well...there goes my retirement idea....thanks for the info!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
didlysquat said:
Holy shit...I wasn't thinking in the 10's of millions....heck, I was thinking more in the line of 1-2 million for a personal track.

Ohh well...there goes my retirement idea....thanks for the info!
Well figure it's going to be about 1.5 million per mile of track. That's JUST the track. If you have nothing else planned but the plopping a track down on 30 acres or so, it's going to be around 8$. Then there's upkeep.

I've already looked into it. I even designed a couple tracks. My dream is gone unless I add a couple zero's to end of my paycheck :(

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'd say try to get in contact with the owner of Jennings GP. Jennings is a track that was created in the middle of nowhere, built by a track enthusiast and sponsors CCS/WERA races but is definitely not an AMA track by any means, there aren't any spectator areas.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
z-man said:
I'd say try to get in contact with the owner of Jennings GP. Jennings is a track that was created in the middle of nowhere, built by a track enthusiast and sponsors CCS/WERA races but is definitely not an AMA track by any means, there aren't any spectator areas.
You can spectate from the mosquito infested woods :shrug

·
Registered
407 Posts
Actually figured a track based on alot like what you are talking about, but we already had the land. A track along the lines of Little Tally (1.5 miles or so) would cost right around 4 million. This would be a bare bones nothing special track.

Track, Bleachers, Concessions, bathhouse. like I said a basic place. Luckly if all goes well there are some investors working on putting in a 75 million dollar complex here locally now. They have been pounding it out with the city for about a year now. If its finally passes they are shooting for opening in 07. we are talking a 4 mile road course, right outside of Knoxville TN.

·
Registered
237 Posts
miller motorsports park started off as a "i want my own little race track" project by larry miller.

after the project got going, it became something else - a real raceway.

the figure tossed around for how much he spent?

$50 million.

alex

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
Inten_Z said:
Actually figured a track based on alot like what you are talking about, but we already had the land. A track along the lines of Little Tally (1.5 miles or so) would cost right around 4 million. This would be a bare bones nothing special track.

Track, Bleachers, Concessions, bathhouse. like I said a basic place. Luckly if all goes well there are some investors working on putting in a 75 million dollar complex here locally now. They have been pounding it out with the city for about a year now. If its finally passes they are shooting for opening in 07. we are talking a 4 mile road course, right outside of Knoxville TN.
WHAT?!

Are you serious? Where are they planning on building this?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Almost next door to the Smokies stadium, they have already purchased the land and the City is currently processing the zoning ect......

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
^ Awesome! Man, that makes me happy about living in Knoxville for another 5 years for college...a track less then 30 minutes away! WOOT!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah, they purchased 300 acres...plans consist of a 1/8th mile drag strip, and oval track for sprint cars, nascar trucks ect... and a 4 mile road course.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I think I saw a pic of the proposed layout.. it was like 4.01 miles but I dont remeber where I saw it. I was thinking that it would be an awesome track.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts