R6 Message Net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i keep the bike in my garage but its not heated. i took the cover off yesterday to start the bike and let in run for a bit. garage temp was probably 40 degrees or slightly more. the bike had condensation on the frame and gas tank. i didnt look at the rest of the bike. what should i do to keep this from happening over the winter? i dont want all that aluminum to rust. a guy at work suggested leaving the cover off.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thrak said:
did you put the cover on while the bike was still warm?

semi-warm....i think it was low 60's

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoolingbyu said:
if its in the garage why is it covered?

good question. i really dont know though. birds sometimes get into the garage and crap over everything. i guess i could leave the cover off.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
There is actually a difference in covers made for indoor and outdoor. The condensation is because your cover is not breathing.

It's like this old school survival trick I know. You can take a piece of plastic, dig a small 2x2 hole in the ground, and put a cup in the middle, put the plastic over it and no matter if you are in the desert or artic you'll get water in the cup.

Same thing is happening to your bike, the water in the air is getting trapped and condensing on the bike

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just took the cover off 5 min ago, wiped the bike down with a micro-fiber towel. ill keep an eye on it. thanks guys

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
thats why I asked if you put the cover on while the bike is warm... it probably would not have condensation on it if the bike was as cold as the air around it when you put the cover on.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thrak said:
thats why I asked if you put the cover on while the bike is warm... it probably would not have condensation on it if the bike was as cold as the air around it when you put the cover on.
yeah. i never even thought of it while i was putting the bike away. live and learn i guess

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
i just put my bike into a 5x10 storage unit for the winter w no heat. what should i do to protect it?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hesaves0211 said:
i just put my bike into a 5x10 storage unit for the winter w no heat. what should i do to protect it?
im putting mine in carpet squares and thats it. no cover i guess.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Use an old blanket or comforter (or a couple).

Breathes fine, and offers enough padding to help against scratches and dings. Protects from prying eyes and birdshit too.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
prolificX said:
Use an old blanket or comforter (or a couple).

Breathes fine, and offers enough padding to help against scratches and dings. Protects from prying eyes and birdshit too.
i was thinking that b/c i have several moving blankets.

·
Registered
906 Posts
hesaves0211 said:
If you did some winter maintenence (sp) on it, then it will be fine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Cever said:
You can take a piece of plastic, dig a small 2x2 hole in the ground, and put a cup in the middle, put the plastic over it and no matter if you are in the desert or artic you'll get water in the cup.

Same thing is happening to your bike, the water in the air is getting trapped and condensing on the bike

if you're in the arctic u can squish the snow and have water:) heheh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts