R6 Message Net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question for anyone that rides durring the winter time. I ride about 3 miles to work each day and can stand the cold but the other day I came around a curb (way slower than normal) and the back tire slid a little. I just bought this bike and have not had it over 85 and do not even try to do any stunts. I have been told that I have excellent tires for the bike and that they are great when warm.......Durring the winter months should you not lean into anything hard or what is the easiest way to stay safe??

Love riding but need to stay breathing for my 3 girls

·
Albert Hoffman
767 Posts
Cold road + Warm tires still equals less traction. It would be a good idea to take it easy with hard leaning in the cold. Also any unsmooth throttle inputs in a lean could throw you into a lowside.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why would a front tire stick and a back tire slide with no increase/decrease in throttle and not much lean???? It was the only time it has done that but still want to learn as much as possible

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
whys the back tire so much wider then the front tire... front tire lays is a directional gyro it uses its spinning force as grip mainly rear tire simply follows, best bet if your scared get some michellen pilot powers.. tires are incredible.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If the tires are brand new, they are still getting "scrubbed in," meaning the oils from the tire are still slick. Over riding time this effect decreases.

If you are riding on new tires, cold tires, and cold pavement, just act like you are on ice. No hard lean and smooth inputs until at least one of those factors changes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the tires are worn in and worked great in Oct when the weather was warm....they are pirelli (sp) tires and was told by the shop that they were really good tires...will have to take a look at them....

·
Registered
357 Posts
wheeliest said:
whys the back tire so much wider then the front tire... front tire lays is a directional gyro it uses its spinning force as grip mainly rear tire simply follows, best bet if your scared get some michellen pilot powers.. tires are incredible.

pilot powers = :bowdown

·
Registered
124 Posts
powers are the shit just be careful during the winter.

·
Registered
590 Posts
As others have said, you need sufficient time to warm the tires up and have them go through a proper heat cycle. With cold tires and cold pavement it is very easy to slide because of the reduced traction. I don't want to compare race tires to street tires, but lets just say there is a reason why racers use tire warmers on their tires, so that they have better traction from the start.

As for why the front didn't slide and the back did, that's most likely because the back one is connected to the engine and is where the driving force is meeting the ground. At the simplest level, you're really just pushing the front tire, but your propolsion is coming from the rear. Whether you crack the throttle or apply light throttle, you're still applying more force to the rear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ride throught the colorado winters and i usually don't have any problems. I am on the stock dunlops, YUCK, but just take it extra slow. I'm sure you just hit some ice/sand/water on the road. Cant wait till these tires are TKO so I can get me some PP's!!!

·
Stock Tiip ARIO!
1,625 Posts
I am riding on dunlops 207's, but have new PP's sitting in the basement, can't wait to put them on must be the best mod you can do? But cheapo me wants to wear out the dunlops some more, I figure correctly- I won't be riding to much in winter, so I will put them on near end of winter should be good for one summer, if I buy one more back tire:wink

·
Registered
628 Posts
well it depends how those 3 miles are taken... but once they heat up they provide decent traction... just ride like the day you rode ur FIRST BIKE... real slow and nervious like... unless u were one of those crazy people then just take it SLOW

consider the speed limit the FASTEST u should go in those temperatures... i rode in some 35-45 temperatures and the tires take much longer to warm up when i take on ramps before my tires are warmed up i can feel the front pushing a bit.. its unnerving.. and this is at the posted speed usually like 25-45 for on ramps... but once warmed up u can take them a bit more aggresive

and the front and back tires heat up at different speeds sometimes... which explains the front or back sliding unexpectedly..

you could try lowering ur tire pressure a bit... so the contact patch is bigger...

as long as there no ice its all good if ur real careful... with ice... i dont know how the bike would react at all....

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
First, the stock tires dont have great grip when compared to whats out there.

second, The PP rear tire has horrible traction until it heats up.

third, Your tires wont get warm with that short of a ride. Just feel them when you get to work.

·
Registered
544 Posts
man I got swome dunlops..

and bout 3 weeks ago it was about 32 degreee.... all those factors must have came into play with me because I took a 30 mph turn at 30 mph and the bike slipped fomr underneath me and I jsut had a slight lean..? I didnt get it even until this day..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts