R6 Message Net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today as I was getting ready to get off the bike and park it in my driveway, I hit the kill switch and popped the clutch, this is usually what I do to make the bike stop as I was still rolling about 5MPH. As I did this, the rear tire locked up as usually, but then it just got stuck and wouldn't move. At first I thought my chain had broken and was stuck in the sprocket. Then I learned that the clutch wasn't disengaging when I pulled the lever in. Thrak and I talked about it for awhile earlier, I just wondered if anyone else had any ideas.

There are 20k HARD miles (lots of clutched wheelies) on the stock clutch. Also, when I adjusted the level and made it tighter, it helped a bit, which had me thinking it was the actual clutch cable itself, but it appears to be fine. I'm going to take the cover off as soon as I get a new clutch, just wondering if anyone has any ideas.

So far I have these: broken clutch plate, busted spring, or jacked up cable... lemme know what ya think guys.

Adam

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
You....with clutch problems.....NEVER

:p

Sounds like a cracked plate is the problem.

Oh, and you're nuts to still be riding in this weather...hows she handle in the snow :lol

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks spoolin, thats what Thrak deducted from what I told him. When yours broke, did you drop the oil pan to make sure there were no pieces of clutch in there?

Mike, it was a bit cold, but really not that bad, I had full thermals, jeans, leather jacket and two pairs of gloves. Traction was a bit of an issue on the ice :)lol imagine that), but other than that I was good. Something is definetely wrong w/ the bike though, the fuckin front wheel won't stay down... :umm :shrug

·
Registered
773 Posts
well i let t he dealership fix it when they took the clutch assembly apart, 4 of the clutchs had broken and 2 of them had the pieces missing. The took the oil pan off and found them in there. also it had fucked up the clutch basket from where the pieces were missing. the plates were catching and grinding into it.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
yeah I don't have much else to add until you pull the cover off and see what is going on. if something actually broke ... duh there is the answer :)

if not ... well I'm not even sure a worn clutch would cause this, contrary to what I posted in the other thread as I thought about it more and read this thread. Generally, a worn clutch has problem fully engageing of the adjusters are set the right, or wrong, way. they also hold weakly but that is obvious as the stack height gets thin and the springs have less clamping power.

but a stuck clutch :shrug I've never had that. and really the clutch basket I mentioend in the other thread is moer fo clutches that feel notchy as you pull the lever in, and worse, can get hung up closing back down causing it to slip.

get that bad boy apart and tell us what is up. don't bother waiting till you have the parts since you might ahve to order something else and it isn't like you can / should be riding it anyway. no harm taking it apart early.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
the obligitory ...

:needpic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts