will ride for mods
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clear Alternatives Tail Light Integrator

by FreStylMotoX01

http://www.clearalternatives.com/
Cost: About $75.00 Shipped
Warranty: 1 Year warranty

When I was looking for a way to clean up the rear end and get rid of the stock fender I knew I wanted some kind of integrator. There were only a few choices and I looked for a while but finally decided on the Clear Alternatives unit. When I started to search for them I found price varying from $75.00 to $110.00, I went with the $75.00 one from ebay since I didn’t need the reassurance of buying it from CA themselves. Upon receiving the Tail light it looked like it was a nice quality unit. You get everything you need to install the tail light with the unit is the tail light itself, resistors, connections and some vague instructions. First thing you will notice is that there is a stock connector and two yellow wires coming out of it which makes it really easy to install. After looking it over I found that the tail light only has two mounting holes, but the stock tail has three so it isn’t a firmly mounted as it could be, but I have never had any problems with it.

When you go for the install I would recommend having a fender eliminator to compliment the look I recommend the Home Depot fender eliminator *(refer to the link at the bottom of the page). The installation is straight forward and should take roughly an hour or less. It consists of removing all the seats, the tail section, the under tail, the stock fender and of course disconnecting the tail light. After you put it in just reconnect the tail light, then you must cut the turn signal wires and connect the yellow wires to the positive wires, and add the resistors if you choose to. If you don’t install the resistors then all your blinkers will be faster than normal because LED’s require less power to blink. I did because I didn’t want the fast blink and it was simple to install the resistors. All you have to do is attach the two positives (one yellow wire and the positive blinker wire) and the signals ground to the other side of the resistor, it’s that simple. Now that it is all connected make sure that the signals blink correctly and the brake lights work. After it is installed just zip tie the wires up and out of the way of the under tail and reassemble everything.

As soon as I finished the install I went out for a ride with my buddy so he could follow me and tell me how it looks from close up and far away. After we went out he told me that it looks good from up close but when you get four to five car lengths away the signal is really hard to see especially with the brakes applied. This bothered me a bit so I had him ride it and so I could see what he meant. He was right so I called customer service, they were awesome, they sent me another taillight within three days and I installed it and returned the defective unit. Reinstalled it and went back out on a test drive and was satisfied with the results. It still had some visibility issue from a distance so I added some LED’s to my passenger peg to be extra visible so that no one would rear end me because they couldn’t see my signals. The brake light is pretty bright and the tail light works great and as described.

So far I have had it installed for about 3500 miles and it has worked flawlessly. The company had good customer service and was very receptive to my problem. They worked quick and fixed the problem with out any cost or hassle to me, other than taking the bike apart again. I purchased it to clean up the tail end and get rid of that nasty fender and it does a great job. It was worth every penny I spent on it and if given the choice I would do it all over again. The only recommendations I have are that you install some LED’s somewhere like the passenger pegs or something like that.

Pros
Cleans up the look of the tail end
Fairly inexpensive
Good customer service

Cons
Only two mounting tabs instead of three
Signals are not visible with brake lights applied from a distance

* http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22072&highlight=Home+Depot

This is the Stock photo from their web site

This is the bike before the fender eliminator and tail light

This is a few from after the bike got the fender eliminator and the tail light

·
Karma Sucks
207 Posts
You got a good deal. I paid $95 for mine about a year ago.

·
Shameless Rossifumi
1,337 Posts
I payed $75 for mine on Ebay there in the summer. Just like to throw in that this product is equally as great on the 99-02 models, cleaned up my rear end very similar to the pics above. For you people with mighmounts where they might get in the way of blinkers (Like my Leo Vince HM did) it's the perfect solution.

The other great thing about it is it's very bright and noticeable - i.e. grandma in her old caprice-woody wagon could even see ya. Much more so then the mini-blinkers that most people mount on back.

$75 well spent.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I heard that it's not bight at all.. I want to get this cuz i'm soon to recieve a HM exhaust.. can some post up pics during the day and night.. please..

·
Registered
989 Posts
looks good!

·
will ride for mods
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the brakes and everything are bright as stock it is just the turn signals that can be drowned out with the brakes applied. i would highly suggest installing LED's in the pass pegs or somewhere along those lines.

·
Shameless Rossifumi
1,337 Posts
I find the LEDs fine in daytime use - and a fail to see how the blinker gets "drowned out" while braking since on my bike one light will light up bright red indicating the brake and the other will go alternately between briggt red for brake and the orange for the turn signal - the two colors are not present at the same time - that's how it is on my 99-02 at least.

Here's some daytime pics of the CA on the '03-'05
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44371&highlight=Clear+Alternatives

Run a search and I'm sure you can find more examples and info

·
Stonecutter
12,010 Posts
Nice product review. I would be concerned about the effectiveness of the brake light/blinker as well. I like to be seen.

My friend has an integrator on his 03 (not sure of brand) and I do have a hard time seeing the different lights when I am behind him during the day. Night time is no problem.

Again, nice write-up.

·
..I should be working..
429 Posts
Green Lights!

I just installed mine tonight, I found mine on ebay for 85 shipped. Like everyone has said it is a quick and painless install. The only thing I'm having a problem with is that my LED's are green :umm . It is entirely odd, but there green, not even close to amber so I dont know whats goin on. Has anyone else noticed this at all or is it just my set? Other than that there bright, and are a lot more visable then the short stalk's I had on the back, plus the resistors also slowed down my front signal (short stalks also) blink. Overall I recommend it.

·
Phi Alpha
1,518 Posts
thisisme08 said:
I just installed mine tonight, I found mine on ebay for 85 shipped. Like everyone has said it is a quick and painless install. The only thing I'm having a problem with is that my LED's are green :umm . It is entirely odd, but there green, not even close to amber so I dont know whats goin on. Has anyone else noticed this at all or is it just my set? Other than that there bright, and are a lot more visable then the short stalk's I had on the back, plus the resistors also slowed down my front signal (short stalks also) blink. Overall I recommend it.
I noticed it too. I have the CA Integrator. It has the amber LEDs in it...but with the constant red LEDs on and the flashing amber LEDs flashing...the colors kinda combine.....and gives a greenish color appearance.

·
Karma Sucks
207 Posts
thisisme08 said:
The only thing I'm having a problem with is that my LED's are green :umm . It is entirely odd, but there green, not even close to amber so I dont know whats goin on.

Yours might be the ones made in China. LOL :myfault

·
..I should be working..
429 Posts
saefirebird said:
I noticed it too. I have the CA Integrator. It has the amber LEDs in it...but with the constant red LEDs on and the flashing amber LEDs flashing...the colors kinda combine.....and gives a greenish color appearance.
Most likely a China product but hey I'm not alone. :myfault

·
Shameless Rossifumi
1,337 Posts
That's weird because mine works perfectly - no green, and the red is never on at the same time as the amber because when the blinker's on they alternate - IMO it's crazy visible as the each tailight is twice as big as any blinker you'd mount back there. I should take a picture because mine is flawless and really visible

·
Shes back!!
4,797 Posts
Good review. Ill be getting mine soon.

·
Premium Member
4,744 Posts
I have one of these on my R1.

I was very wary of running an integral light in case the brake lights overpowered the turn lights or vice versa.

However, I had no cause for concern, the lights are clean and bright with no bleeding of colour whatsoever. The turn signal can be seen clear as day even with the brake light.

The construction is tight, they have used a load of leds and it looks like it was OEM fitted. 10/10 from me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The kits from vfx (vfxkits.com) are pretty nice as well. I just got one for my 01 and its unbelievable. You dont even have to wire them in, they plug right into the stock tail light recepticle. They cost a bit more but are well worth it.

·
Shes back!!
4,797 Posts
Would you say the LEDs itself are brighter then the OEM ones?

·
will ride for mods
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
as bright. i believe that there are less red led's in this than the stock light, so that they can make room for the amber led's

1 - 20 of 61 Posts