R6 Message Net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that this is the best purchase you can do on a R6. The thing is my budget is really limited and I've seen some used unbranded steering dampers at $65-80. Are they worth it for street use? As a rookie rider will I notice anything? Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
any of you guys like to tell me where i can find a good stabilizer at a decent price. cost is not too much of an issue for me, but whatever i buy i like to buy for the best price available. thanks for your time.

·
Eli, please ban winter
5,768 Posts
There's a group buy going on right now for a new Pitt Bull unit for $355 shipped. Good deal on what seems like a badass unit. From what I've seen you'll be $300 + no matter what for a good damper (sp?) like Hyperpro, OHlins, Scotts, GPR, Pit Bull. There's a ton more that I can't think of right now. Happy hunting, oh and the ebay unit looks like shit. IMO

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Why don't you look for a used unit on Ebay. I got my Hyperpro for around $300 on Ebay. It was a display model... not brand brand new but still new...

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
i got an ohlins on ebay for 285 i think, used for like 100 miles... search and be patient

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
If you aren't going for looks, that Daytona (Shindy) you linked to on E-Bay will function just fine. Rebuild parts are easy to get too. A damper doesn't have to cost $300.00 to do it's job.

·
Registered
674 Posts
that one it looks like your going to have to drill into the frame. wich might weaken the frame?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I usually agree with the "you get what you pay for" thing but with dampers I don't. What is it that a $500 damper will do that a $200 or beat up used one can't? The nice ones can be rebuilt, have the oil changed, and have more adjustability but as far as performance, all it's doing is slowing down the movement of the front wheel. How can one be better than another? If one damper were better than another I bet you would have heard about it, I know I never have heard anything like this.

The damper I had on my race bike last year was a piece of shit, I couldn't even figure out what kind it was and it had some crash damage, but the thing worked so who cares.

I say watch Ebay and the classifieds and you'll be able to get a decent one for around $300, beat to shit like mine was will be less than $200.

·
Registered
663 Posts
or you could even keep your eye open on here. i bought my Ohlins damper with a Harris mount for $200 from a member here. thats a pretty smokin' deal right there for ya.

if it were me buying one... id stick with the big brand ones... Ohlins, Scotts, GPR, and mebbe that hyperpro thing. the last thing you want is your damper to get stuck in one position leaving you not being able to turn... that'd be scary.

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
^^ even at the stiffest you should still be able to turn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts