R6 Message Net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I see that it's that time of the year... everyone can't start their bikes easily.

I got a battery charger the other night, hooked it up and after an hour it showed no progression on the "little green light meter." How long does it generally take to charge a battery? It says it's on a 2A slow charge and 12V setting, which is what I think it should be on. How many hours does it generally take? 2 hrs, 8hrs, 12 hrs??? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I just plug mine in and let it go. I know that an alost dead battery can be charged in about 30 min on a shop charger. However, that is not a trickle charger like you most likely have. I would say if isnt in "storage" mode in a day something isnt right.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Your battery might be on it's last leg. I use a Battery Tender. Great product, plug it up and leave it, it chargers and monitors, you could leave it on for weeks with no problems.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
you are charging your battery too fast. 2amp is too much for a small motorcycle battery. you should only be hitting it with about 1 amp. Go out and get a battery tender JR. it is rated at 0.75 amps.

As for how long ... it should take about 10 hours for a completely drained, but not damaged battery because you should be charging at 1/10 the rated capacity. As you might guess our batteries are rated at 10Ah

And yes your battery might be on its last legs. get a BTJr and put it on there overnight. if it doesn't go into maintenance mode your battery is buggered. order a new one, and charge it BEFORE you install it even if it gives a voltage that makes you think it is charged. All new batteries should be charged before installation.

·
Stock Tiip ARIO!
1,625 Posts
Im using a car battery charger, how about just giving it a short charge using a car battery charger will that hurt the battery?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
it isn't a go/no-go scenario. but everytime you push too much current or allow the voltage to go too high you take a little life (read total capacity) off your battery. in a pinch, it is ok just like bump/jump starting. but as soon as you can get a correct charger on there and charge it overnight (assuming it is automatic and will shut down when complete)

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
if i leave my bike sitting for weeks or a month itll take about 1 minute for the green light on my battery tender jr to indicate it's fully charge, ok less than a minute...

·
Eli, please ban winter
5,768 Posts
I use a little small battery charger/maintainer guy I bought at Walmart for $30 about once every couple of weeks in winter. In spring 04 my battery was zapped from not having one and it took about as long as it took me to install some gregg's flushies and an integrated tail light unit to fully charge.

I wish a had one of those slick little tender Jr. guys but I was in a pinch on a Sunday and wanted to ride. But your battery should have a good charge still from it not being winter for too long yet. I haven't started mine in about 3-4 weeks and it started fine, no charger yet. I'd be check that batt to see if it's still good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts