R6 Message Net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Red '05 R6
324 Posts
Great pictures!

I did this recently. For a non-naked bike the air ducts need to be removed.

Also, on paper, changing the plugs sounds pretty easy. But it can be a real hassle especially for someone doing it for the first time. I recommend removing the tank and just getting it out of the way. I think that little extra effort is worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice tutorial :thumbup
Don't you guys use anti seize compound on the new plugs? The head is aluminum right? You don't want to go to your next change and have one stubborn plug strip the threads.

·
Red '05 R6
324 Posts
Maiden69 said:
Nice tutorial :thumbup
Don't you guys use anti seize compound on the new plugs? The head is aluminum right? You don't want to go to your next change and have one stubborn plug strip the threads.
I have heard that you are not supposed to do that. It will act as a lubricant and can actually do more damage than good causing over torquing and stressing the threads.

Also, the metal coating (zinc chromate) that is on the plug is a very non-corrosive and is all that is needed to resist seizure. But I know others who use anti seize with out any problems.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I used anti seize and think it's a good idea to do so and as long as you don't give the plug all you have when tightening it will cause no problems. Removing the AIS would of made your plug change a little easier. I changed my plugs today and found no reason to unbolt the radiator. Very nice write up and very detailed. and the pictures were very clear. Good job.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Great post! Very informative and detailed. I was just about to do this and was looking for advice. Honestly, It's threads like this that is the reason I joined this forum. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice writeup. I'm jealous-- on the 06 you have to remove the tank to get the airbox off, and you have to remove the throttle bodies to get to the coils.

I find you can use something soft underneath the ignition coil connector to lever the coil out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great post, but why don't you just permanently remove the AIS while your in there. Mike.
So, I'm about to change out my plugs and I came to this thread. I guess the info got removed. Too bad for me. In the meantime though what is the AIS that you mention removing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts