R6 Message Net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been a mechanic for years now and I have always been of the mindset that, if you cannot do a whole oil change, the oil filter should be changed and the oil topped off. I've always thought that running clean oil thru a dirty oil filter is like putting on dirty underwear after you shower.

I had a guy give me the other opinion the other day while he was changin the oil on his race bike (change oil but not filter). I can sorta understand where he's coming from, simply becuz in general the oil is changed much more frequently on a race machine than on a street machien, so the oil filter doesn't have as much time to get clogged and therefore can be left on while just changing out the oil.

What do you guys think? I ask becuz I started using Castrol R4 superbike oil, so I figure I can probably leave the synthetic oil in the crankcase for more than 2k miles as long as I put a fresh filter on the engine. Opinions?

·
Registered
999 Posts
i just payed $50 for 3 quarts of oil and a fuckin filter!!!! Can't believe that shit, $10 filter, 3 quarts mobil 1 mx4t = $40..of course i go to about 5 different places and NO ONE carries the mobil 1, so i go to a rip of dealership and find the mobil 1 sittin there for $13.50 a quart!! Ahhhhh. But yea i change both every time

·
Albert Hoffman
767 Posts
I would think especially on the track you would want to change the oil and filter together because you are running the engine much more aggressively. :confused:

i just payed $50 for 3 quarts of oil and a fuckin filter!!!! Can't believe that shit, $10 filter, 3 quarts mobil 1 mx4t = $40..of course i go to about 5 different places and NO ONE carries the mobil 1, so i go to a rip of dealership and find the mobil 1 sittin there for $13.50 a quart!! Ahhhhh. But yea i change both every time
Maybe you should try some new oil then :thumbup There are plenty of cheaper alternatives out there.

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
anyone that can afford a toy like a sportbike can surely afford to do a COMPLETE oil change, or is that just my thinking??

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scott_R6 said:
does THAT make it a good idea?????
I completely agree. I'm also on the side of doing a complete change, but I'm also one who's read tons and tons about synthetic oils, which is why I use it. In my car (Honda CRX), I use Mobil-1 5W30 synthetic and I use it for 9,000 miles. Every 3,000 miles I slap a new filter on the engine and top off the oil. It has been shown that synthetic oil does in fact provide protection for longer periods of time IFF (yes, there are two F's in that IFF, my fellow nerds will understand what that means) the oil filter is replaced at regular intervals to provide continuous effective filtration of solid particles from the oil. I am of the opinion that synthetic motorcycle oil should operate the same way. OF course I'm not going to leave the oil in the bike for 9,000 miles, that's insane. But, I am thinking that I could probably get away with going 4,000 miles on the R4 synthetic oil and replacing the filter every 2,000 miles.

All that being said, it makes far more sense to me to replace the oil filter and not the oil than the opposite.

·
Liddle Squid
401 Posts
Scott_R6 said:
does THAT make it a good idea?????
doesn't make it a bad idea either. all ya are on about oil, but not too much talk about the filter. dirt stays in the filter, unless it becomes damaged. and if that happens, you've got bigger problems.

i still change the filter every change, but thats outta habit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
AwwsChwA said:
It has been shown that synthetic oil does in fact provide protection for longer periods of time IFF (yes, there are two F's in that IFF, my fellow nerds will understand what that means) the oil filter is replaced at regular intervals to provide continuous effective filtration of solid particles from the oil.

All that being said, it makes far more sense to me to replace the oil filter and not the oil than the opposite.
Biconditional in the HOUSE!

Anyway, the manual tells you to only change the filter every other time. Without actually gathering some sort of empirical evidence, we're all pretty much just blowing smoke out of our asses. I would hope Yamaha has done some sort of evidence gathering before putting such advice in the owner's manual. So the oil filter should do it's job for at least 2 oil changes.

I change the filter everytime I do an oil change though. It's cheap, and it doesn't hurt anything. :shrug

·
Registered
62 Posts
if you think you know a little something about oil, I'm here to tell you that you don't until you have checked out www.bobistheoilguy.com trust me, the forums in there about motorcycle lubrication, and the oil analysis really opens you up to whats happening. From what I have gathered, if your bike operates using wet clutch, your oil shears down within 1500-2000 miles no matter what kind you are using. You'll also learn that the r4 superbike and motorcycle specific oils are a waste of money, but then again, check out the site for yourself. As for not changing the filter everytime, I think if you are changing your oil every 1500-2000 miles, then every other time on the filter is probably ok, but hey the supertech st7317 from walmart is only $2.35.... your call, I dunno

1 - 13 of 13 Posts