R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Track day dreamer
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m posting this here, in its own thread, first because I think I have some valid and important things to say, and also because I don’t have a freaking clue what thread it would belong in now, with 387 different ‘OMG the new board sucks’ threads going on. If the mods feel it should be merged, that's fine. Also, I don’t for a second believe that anyone will read all of this, but I’m putting it out there anyway. So here it is, my take on what’s going on.

Where we were…
First, I’d like to clear up some B.S. that’s being touted as truth elsewhere. The R6MN does not, nor has it ever had, 30,000 members. The member count you currently see on the board is a direct result of the administration problems we are now finding out about. A few weeks ago, I did some digging and found out that there were over 7,000 ‘empty’ accounts; that is, accounts that were registered over two years ago, and never used. No posts, no activity, nothing. I think our actual member count is probably less than 10,000, with perhaps half of that actually being active members.

Site activity has been stagnant for some time. One possible explanation for that was the lack of maintenance it was receiving from the admin end. More likely (in my opinion) the interest in this sort of site, for this sort of subject, has simply reached its natural equilibrium, and will not continue to grow ad infinitum. And really, I’m fine with that.

The board legitimately did need work. The amount of spam accounts being registered almost daily can be traced almost directly to the fact that we probably haven’t received any software updates to the board in quite some time. It was starting to get sloppy, and was only going to get worse.

Where are we now…
I don’t (yet) think the R6MN is dead. Sick, injured, yes, but not dead. The only thing that would kill it is if everybody left. Right now the board is ugly, buggy, ad-ridden and owned by some Canadian schmuck. I am, however, encouraged to see the progress that has been made to fix problems with the board itself in just the past 24 hours. Many of the hacks and modifications of the old board have been implemented, and I hope to see that trend continue in coming days.

How did we get here…

Keeping in mind that we haven’t, and most likely won’t, hear from Jimmy (Och) on this, I tend to believe that much of what Deezul has said is true. Having met both of them, and having spoken with Dennie several times, I am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on many aspects of this. I think that Och, for whatever reason, decided he was done with the R6MN, and instead of walking away and handing down the reins like a man, he decided to hold on, and hold out for money. Dennie tried to buy him out, but most likely Jimmy had done his geek homework, and knew what the site was worth, and wouldn’t accept anything that Dennie could muster. Faced with the declining state of the board’s back end, an administrative partner with nearly all of the important controls under his own name, and feeling as if he had to go it alone, Dennie made the call to sell to VS. I don’t agree with it, but I think that’s what happened, as far as I can tell.

Jimmy… Jimmy is a coward, a liar, and a fraud. He has a weak handshake, a sly look about him, a rather large gut, and frankly I didn’t like him all that much at all, having met him. What has been said, publicly and privately, regarding his horrid mismanagement of the board that helped lead to our current state, makes a lot of sense, and explains a lot.
I would very much like to know if he has been banned, or simply just stripped of his admin rights. I’d check for myself, but there doesn’t seem to be a member list anymore.

Dennie… Man, I still don’t get it. I may be Monday-morning quarterbacking it, as hundreds of other people are, but… It really seems to me that there were literally dozens of better options to try before you took the one you did. I have a rough idea of what you made off the sale, but I am disappointed that you actually pocketed the money, rather than donating at least the vast majority of it to either a new board, the Air Fence Fund, breast cancer research… Anything. And in fact any donation of that sort would be outside of any nondisclosure agreement (was not starting a new board part of the contract too?), since charitable contributions are almost always public record. And I realize that it’s probably not my business, but the R6MN wasn’t your ‘business’ either. I understand if you felt entitled to a portion of the proceeds to recoup some of the time, energy, money, and marital strife you certainly must have incurred from the years that you were a mod/admin, but all of it… That does not reflect the moral resolve of the person I thought you were. If I’m missing something, feel free to enlighten me, publicly or privately.

Where are we going…

The R6MN will never be the same. Long time members are leaving by the dozens right now, and who knows when they’ll come back, if ever. If the other site really does take off, never seems like the most likely scenario. It hurts to see some of these guys/gals leaving, because they are (were) part of the reason why I like this place so much.

I’m also concerned for our long-time sponsors. At one time, being a board sponsor on the R6MN meant (mostly) that you could be trusted, that you had a good reputation with the community, and that you had built a relationship with us. I myself have spent quite a lot of money with Cal-Sportbike, SoloMotoParts and even a bit with USSuperBikes. But what happens to them now? Now they’re just another ad on a page drenched with them, if they’re even still here at all. I find that very unfortunate. And if they are here, are they being charged the same price? A higher price for less space? And what of the ads I’m seeing now? Are any of them reputable at all? Do they care about our site, our members, our community? Will they join the board themselves and post, and become one of us, as Todd and Kim from Cal-sportbike have? I highly doubt it.

As for me…
There is no decision currently to make. The new board is not up, and I have to admit I remain a bit skeptical about what it will actually become. Equally, I have no idea what is to become of this place. So the only thing for me to do now is keep an eye on both, and hope it all ends for the best, wherever it is.

I’ll close with a quick note to Jim (Admin), who has the unenviable job of trying to deal with this clusterfuck.

Jim, please don’t kill my board. I hate that I feel like I’m pleading, and I refuse to pay a ransom (premium membership) out of pride, but I’m asking you to please do whatever you can to stop the bleeding that’s currently occurring. I have supported this board for a number of years, donated I don’t know how much of my own money, made a lot of friends (including my fiancé and my best man), and learned immensely. I’ve tried very hard to give back to this community at least what it gave me, but I have serious concerns whether it will continue to be the place that I know and love. Please, you and the rest of the VS team, do everything within your power to return the site to something resembling normalcy.

·
Not a member
1,038 Posts
Stunaz notes please?

jk :lol

You got some great points, I'm still gonna wait it out before making any further "moving"...

·
2002 blue
701 Posts
Yes, good posting Cephas. I hope we can get together at another TD this year. You're a pretty stand-up guy, and your wife-to-be is cool too(hi NOTKT:)), and a pretty decent photographer. I'll be going to the new place once it's up, but I'll check back here too once in a while.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
There is no decision currently to make. The new board is not up, and I have to admit I remain a bit skeptical about what it will actually become. Equally, I have no idea what is to become of this place. So the only thing for me to do now is keep an eye on both, and hope it all ends for the best, wherever it is.
Bingo.

A board is only as good as the people who run it. There are members who are going to pay close attention to who is running the new site and how efficient the admins are at conducting day-to-day business. IMO, if the staff over at the other site is run/modded by hacks it will drive away a lot of people that want a sound "home."

The downside to what is going on here is that the very top of the totem pole is in it strictly for the money and probably couldn't tell any of us the significance behind the number 17,500.

Several members, including myself, have already expressed the same concerns you have in this thread, Cephas. You're certainly not alone in this delimma.

·
Gossamer has MOJO!!!
15,535 Posts
Bingo.

A board is only as good as the people who run it. There are members who are going to pay close attention to who is running the new site and how efficient the admins are at conducting day-to-day business. IMO, if the staff over at the other site is run/modded by hacks it will drive away a lot of people that want a sound "home."

The downside to what is going on here is that the very top of the totem pole is in it strictly for the money and probably couldn't tell any of us the significance behind the number 17,500.

Several members, including myself, have already expressed the same concerns you have in this thread, Cephas. You're certainly not alone in this delimma.

since I was first to dyno the 06 on here...I can tell you :hattip

·
Administrator
388 Posts
I’m posting this here, in its own thread, first because I think I have some valid and important things to say, and also because I don’t have a freaking clue what thread it would belong in now, with 387 different ‘OMG the new board sucks’ threads going on. If the mods feel it should be merged, that's fine. Also, I don’t for a second believe that anyone will read all of this, but I’m putting it out there anyway. So here it is, my take on what’s going on.

Where we were…
First, I’d like to clear up some B.S. that’s being touted as truth elsewhere. The R6MN does not, nor has it ever had, 30,000 members. The member count you currently see on the board is a direct result of the administration problems we are now finding out about. A few weeks ago, I did some digging and found out that there were over 7,000 ‘empty’ accounts; that is, accounts that were registered over two years ago, and never used. No posts, no activity, nothing. I think our actual member count is probably less than 10,000, with perhaps half of that actually being active members.

Site activity has been stagnant for some time. One possible explanation for that was the lack of maintenance it was receiving from the admin end. More likely (in my opinion) the interest in this sort of site, for this sort of subject, has simply reached its natural equilibrium, and will not continue to grow ad infinitum. And really, I’m fine with that.

The board legitimately did need work. The amount of spam accounts being registered almost daily can be traced almost directly to the fact that we probably haven’t received any software updates to the board in quite some time. It was starting to get sloppy, and was only going to get worse.

Where are we now…
I don’t (yet) think the R6MN is dead. Sick, injured, yes, but not dead. The only thing that would kill it is if everybody left. Right now the board is ugly, buggy, ad-ridden and owned by some Canadian schmuck. I am, however, encouraged to see the progress that has been made to fix problems with the board itself in just the past 24 hours. Many of the hacks and modifications of the old board have been implemented, and I hope to see that trend continue in coming days.

How did we get here…

Keeping in mind that we haven’t, and most likely won’t, hear from Jimmy (Och) on this, I tend to believe that much of what Deezul has said is true. Having met both of them, and having spoken with Dennie several times, I am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on many aspects of this. I think that Och, for whatever reason, decided he was done with the R6MN, and instead of walking away and handing down the reins like a man, he decided to hold on, and hold out for money. Dennie tried to buy him out, but most likely Jimmy had done his geek homework, and knew what the site was worth, and wouldn’t accept anything that Dennie could muster. Faced with the declining state of the board’s back end, an administrative partner with nearly all of the important controls under his own name, and feeling as if he had to go it alone, Dennie made the call to sell to VS. I don’t agree with it, but I think that’s what happened, as far as I can tell.

Jimmy… Jimmy is a coward, a liar, and a fraud. He has a weak handshake, a sly look about him, a rather large gut, and frankly I didn’t like him all that much at all, having met him. What has been said, publicly and privately, regarding his horrid mismanagement of the board that helped lead to our current state, makes a lot of sense, and explains a lot.
I would very much like to know if he has been banned, or simply just stripped of his admin rights. I’d check for myself, but there doesn’t seem to be a member list anymore.

Dennie… Man, I still don’t get it. I may be Monday-morning quarterbacking it, as hundreds of other people are, but… It really seems to me that there were literally dozens of better options to try before you took the one you did. I have a rough idea of what you made off the sale, but I am disappointed that you actually pocketed the money, rather than donating at least the vast majority of it to either a new board, the Air Fence Fund, breast cancer research… Anything. And in fact any donation of that sort would be outside of any nondisclosure agreement (was not starting a new board part of the contract too?), since charitable contributions are almost always public record. And I realize that it’s probably not my business, but the R6MN wasn’t your ‘business’ either. I understand if you felt entitled to a portion of the proceeds to recoup some of the time, energy, money, and marital strife you certainly must have incurred from the years that you were a mod/admin, but all of it… That does not reflect the moral resolve of the person I thought you were. If I’m missing something, feel free to enlighten me, publicly or privately.

Where are we going…

The R6MN will never be the same. Long time members are leaving by the dozens right now, and who knows when they’ll come back, if ever. If the other site really does take off, never seems like the most likely scenario. It hurts to see some of these guys/gals leaving, because they are (were) part of the reason why I like this place so much.

I’m also concerned for our long-time sponsors. At one time, being a board sponsor on the R6MN meant (mostly) that you could be trusted, that you had a good reputation with the community, and that you had built a relationship with us. I myself have spent quite a lot of money with Cal-Sportbike, SoloMotoParts and even a bit with USSuperBikes. But what happens to them now? Now they’re just another ad on a page drenched with them, if they’re even still here at all. I find that very unfortunate. And if they are here, are they being charged the same price? A higher price for less space? And what of the ads I’m seeing now? Are any of them reputable at all? Do they care about our site, our members, our community? Will they join the board themselves and post, and become one of us, as Todd and Kim from Cal-sportbike have? I highly doubt it.

As for me…

I’ll close with a quick note to Jim (Admin), who has the unenviable job of trying to deal with this clusterfuck.

Jim, please don’t kill my board. I hate that I feel like I’m pleading, and I refuse to pay a ransom (premium membership) out of pride, but I’m asking you to please do whatever you can to stop the bleeding that’s currently occurring. I have supported this board for a number of years, donated I don’t know how much of my own money, made a lot of friends (including my fiancé and my best man), and learned immensely. I’ve tried very hard to give back to this community at least what it gave me, but I have serious concerns whether it will continue to be the place that I know and love. Please, you and the rest of the VS team, do everything within your power to return the site to something resembling normalcy.
I always appreciate a thoughtful man sir and you are that...regardless of what I may agree or not agree with. Please see my announcement stickied here: http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146821

The old blue plasma skin is back, we are offering the lifetime premium at half off and the air fence fund is coming back too.

I'm doing everything I can to respond to the member's concerns as fast and as effectively as I can.

Jim

1 - 20 of 52 Posts