R6 Message Net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need alittle help i am planning on cleaning my carbs an doing a valve jobe on my 01 R6 anyone out there know what parts i should order prior to starting this jod so as i can just do it all at once instead of having to start an then order them and have to play the waiting game...........

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Carb cleaning... get some carb cleaner at PepBoys. :D

Can really buy stuff for the valves early, because you dont know what size shim you might need. You could buy a whole shim kit, but that'd be a waste of money, I think... (and its expensive!)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sorry, but if you have to ask what you need, you had better send it in to someone who has done it before..(valve job)... Carb cleaning is easy... just make sure you install everything properly after cleaning...:thumbup

·
Converted to the Darkside
175 Posts
Reshimming your valves depends on how much the valve is out of spec. There is a specific formula that you follow to determine the correct shim thickness based on the old thicknesses. As shims don't wear out, at least around here, you can swap them with a shop's supply for free.

As for determining shim thicknesses, you use a feeler gauge. There will be two feelers that fit; one a little loose and the other pretty tight. You want the looser of the two. Having a micrometre for measuring the shim thickness (and as a double check tool) is critical, and having one of those $1 telescoping wands with a magnet on the end is nice as the shims are magnetic. ORganization is critical to this and accuracy in measuring as well as labelling is critical. I'd suggest taping the original shims to a large piece of paper with a image of where you got it. Some motors have easily accessibly, cartridge-style cams that can be simply removed with a low possibility of disrupting the engine's timing during their removal&install. Other motors will torment you.

Not only is there a lot of measuring in reshimming a motor, the possibility of screwing up the motor's timing as well as dropping a bolt down into the cases requiring an expensive motor pull and dissassembly usually makes the average rider with decent mechanical skills take the bike to the shop. I hate to say it but experience is critical in this adjustment, and if you don't know what you're doing, don't bother.

·
Dragraces too much
1,641 Posts
When cleaning the carbs, if you're going to do a complete job, go ahead and replace all the o-rings in the entire (!) assembly. The ones that tend to cause the most grief are the ones that sit between the carb body and the float needle seat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts