R6 Message Net banner

221 - 240 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
azusa on 11/3/07

road was overall pretty clean, except for some oil/coolant in the "practice" corner. the majority of the spill is on the north (going up) lane, but there is some also on the south (going down) lane as well.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
^ Sunday 11/04/07 - Azusa

There was some more coolant on two different turns. These turns were close to the bottom near the Dam, and right next to each other. Rob and I suspect that its intentional. So be cautious if you ride this canyon. I suggest you do a cruise through first to make sure you dont come up on any hazardous crap like that unexpectedly.

The turn had been cleaned up from yesterdays spill. Other than those two ^ dirty areas, the reat of Azusa was nice.

Also, with today's ride being later, starting at 10:00-10:30, I realized why so many of you prefer to ride earlier. The traffic was pretty heavy. However, lately, early in the mornings it has been cold and foggy. So if you go earlier there is a chance that the road may be wet, and fogged, and later, it will just be heavy in traffic.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Monday 11-12-07 Azusa.

Some small rocks on the road at various places. But otherwise, retty clean.

Most of the spills reported a week ago have been cleaned up. There is only one left that is covered in dirt. That one is located near the exit of Azusa Canyon. It may be a new one, as shattered glass was seen next to it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
went to telegraph today there was a lot of contrution and dirt all over the road form the workers and run off, we just went out for a little ride to check out what the fires did.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ACH had clean roads with the overcast burning off around 9am leaving us with clear blues and warm conditions. Not to much traffic , Did see a chipper truck pass by the cafe and other at the gas station at the bottom whom to my surprise drove in and said hello to us than took off. Did see one accident where a car lost contol and crossed over slamming the mountain! (no bike involved) over all a GREAT DAY!:thumbup

·
Registered
37 Posts
Azusa/GMR 11/18

Super foggy today. Waited a bit to clear up. 9:30 Sun was beaming and it was a clear day. Traffic was light, clean conditions but on GMR there were some dirt spots, overall nothing crazy.
:badger

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ortega- Nice and clean. Still down to one lane for construction on the westside. Makes a nice traffic break so you don't have to follow some dillhole up the hill though.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
11/25/07 - Azusa / GMR

Azusa was mostly clean. There were a few small rocks on the road. Near the turnouts, there was some sand and gravel. The same oil patch at the very begining near the dam is still there. Also, passed the OHV area, there was a spot with a bunch of stuff that looked like palm tree leaves. But overall, Azusa was pretty clean.

GMR was also pretty clean, but somewhere in the back - lower section, close to the eastfork, there was some oil on the road, as you are coming out from on of the blind turns. The front side of GMR was clean.

At "The Turn," along the side of the road I seen lots of broken fairings that appeared from different bikes, and even a gauge cluster for a GSXR. Coincidentally, I stopped there to help out another guy on a brand new GSXR that also went down. But I know the speedo was not his, because his was still mounted and working.

CHP told us that yesterday there was a motorcycle Fatality on Azusa near marker 29? (I have no idea where that is at) There is supposed to be red paint on the floor area! According to the officer, the rider went down and a big 4x4 ran him over. The CHP also told us that today six riders had went down, and that since Thanksgiving, there had been many accidents there, especially on GMR.

·
I am Jack's Doctor
2,883 Posts
Since everyone is doing trackdays and shit, today I took my friend Gabriel out for a long ass ride through the San Diego canyons. I figured i'd do the last canyon run before the cold starts or I can hit the track again.

A lot of road work is still being done because of the fires, but it's minimal and still a lot of fun.
I didn't push it at all and kept a great pace.

Telegraph:
There was some traffic and there was road work exactly where the best sweeper is, so we were bummed about that, but other than that, the conditions were excellent. Clean roads all the way to the Buckman springs road junction.

Oh, BTW, the Twin Lakes Cafe was relocated to a place on Highway 94, right next to the Potrero General Store, it's called the Cafe 94 and it's run by the same beautiful people.

Sunrise Highway:
Still wicked fast and it was super clean, absolutely no traffic whatsoever. A lot of cattle and cold as fuck above 4000 ft. before reaching Julian. No ice or snow though.

Julian to Santa Ysabel (Highway 79 North):
Clean roads and it got a little warmer, nice and sunny, and fast. Almost no traffic at all all the way to the junction with the Highway 76 East.

76 East:
It had a spot with some roadwork, right before reaching the Palomar South grade entrance. A lot of damage to the scenery because of the fires. They're spraying all this green shit on the land to the sides of the road. There was more traffic than I expected.

Palomar mountain South Grade:
went up a clean and traffic free road. About 90% to the top there was some road work for about 100 meters or so, just some cleaning, nothing big. Stopped at the store and went back down the same way. Man is Palomar still fun! :thumbup

76 to the 15:
A shitload of traffic didn't let me enjoy my favorite San Diego sweepers but what the hell, I was really tired and I still had to take the 15 South to the 805 South all the way to TJ to leave my bike there. This part still has some of the most beautiful scenery in SD.

A great ride!
I checked my trip meter and it was 250 miles from South bay all the way around and back. No wonder my ass hurts :lol

Catcha laters.

:thumbup

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
looking good pancho! :handclap

12/5/07 Azusa/East Fork/Backside/Frontside-GMR

all of these roads were pretty dusty/dirty this morning when Anthony and I hit them up. Backside in particular was the dirtiest, with smaller rocks/gravel in just about every fucking corner, it made for a pretty shitty ride.

that's the 411 on the local spot. :hattip

·
Registered
88 Posts
12/6/07 Azusa/East Fork/Backside/Frontside-GMR

Hit the hill about 10am this morning, Small Rocks and a lil Dust all over GMR, but didn't see anything major. Weather was good and started to get cold around noon. Looks like it's gonna rain soon, time to :drunkbud

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Pancho, awesome pictures. Damned bro you are crazy riding the trackbike in the canyons. I give you props! And the bike looks awesome.

Im a little pissed off at the weather right now. I did not ride last week because of the rain, and now this week, we are supposed to get a pretty heavy storm! Damned.....

·
I am Jack's Doctor
2,883 Posts
^ Thanks guys.

Daniel, I hardly ever ride street anymore, unless it's quick trips here in Tijuana. But once in a while, the bug hits me and I go for it! It's nice that SD has some awesome canyons. The views from Cleveland National Forest are breathtaking, next time i'll take pics of that. But it'll be a while 'cause i already locked my baby up for the winter.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
12/16/07 Asuza to to GMR.

The roads were pretty clean. Today, there were only a few small spots with rocks, but nothing to be too alarmed about. As usual, near some turn outs there was some light dirt and gravel. On Azusa, in one area south of the "Turn," there was a small boulder near the center of the road, but not near a turn, and it was easy to see, so not a big concern, just something to be aware of. Front side and backside of GMR were pretty clean. But some areas, easpecially where it is shaded were a little wet.

We seen a few hunters out there, a few bicyclist, and few motorcycles. Traffic was moderately lighter than usual, possibly a result of the cold weather, but today was actually not even cold.

The road that connects GMR to Mt. Baldy was still closed. This rode is supposed to be closed due to the snow/ice.

221 - 240 of 262 Posts