R6 Message Net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking my riding test at the DMV for my motorcycle license here in CA soon. Went to the DMV website to check out what the test consists of: control identification, slow ride, serpentine circle ride, and circle ride. I own a 2001 R6, and I have gone to the DMV on weekends to practice the riding test. Performing the circle ride in counterclockwise twice was achievable; however, performing it clockwise -- perhaps because you have to begin in the center -- was impossible for me after more than a dozen attempts. Anyone have any luck passing the CA DMV driving test on an R6?

(Here are the you tube videos by DMV of the test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMLjAU8NgkI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpLBM-1yj2U ).

Thanking you in advanced.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I passed a few months ago on an 07 R6S

NOT EASY!!!!

couple things help... Although it sounds like you have the wrong idea about the test.

The test I did- which I believe is standard--

from right lane- ride slowly toward circle- enter circle turning counter clockwise. complete 2 turns of circle- exit on left lane.

swerve through the dots starting between dot and right lane- after last dot enter circle clockwise complete 2 turns and exit on right lane.

Took me 3 tries to get clockwise circles without putting my foot down- not easy at all!!!! However the tester let me try again after putting my foot down until I got through it.

Tips-

1 DO NOT lean your body- stand on the outside peg with your body weight as far forward over the tank as you can- Makes a big difference-

2 clutch all the way out- no gas- just idle engine clutch out for the circle- This way your hands are free to just focus on steering and balancing- and the bike creeps along at it's own idle speed. if you start dropping to the inside of the turn, a light gassing will keep you up, and you can rear brake to control the speed, but it's much easier with your hands just on the bars, and your feet positioned just to put weight on the outside peg.

Hope that helps- It's REALLY hard on my R6, but I passed- (barely)

If you cant pass, if you're in socal, there's a guy in San Diego that rents a 250 for the DMV test really cheap. http://www.dmvtestbike.com/ or take the MSF course to wave the riding test at DMV.

What really ticks me about the test.... is how ridiculously impractical it is....

Like I'm gonna do tight circle donuts in the middle of a street just waiting for a cager to run me over!!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's Possible

Thanks for the reply. I will heed your suggestions about how to manipulate my body, to keep my balance. Perhaps, however, you were lucky by the DMV dude letting you try it a few times until you got -- very cool of him/her though.
(I am going to go practice what you said when DMV closes, and maybe there is success). It feels impossible to do it, like the bike just cannot go in such a small circle because of hot it is designed -- both bike and test. (Thanks for the S.D. rental thingy, but I live in Northern CA).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah- I think it depends on the tester, but I get the impression they give you a few tries to complete it successfully, because the testers seem to know the test is VERY difficult on a sportbike- Chances are slim that you're the first guy they ever tested..... After I passed- I asked the tester- about it being easier on a cruiser right? with a definite YES!

BTW- I described part of the test wrong- when you weave going into the circle, you weave through again as you come out- not ride down the lane.

That was the only thing I did in the test- no figure 8- no nothing- just clockwise and counterclockwise circles- from one lane into circle out other lane, and then weave into circle, weave out of circle. That's it.

I've read from others (I searched the net for info a few months ago) that giving you a few chances if you screw up is normal- but I guess it does leave a lot to the individual tester.

Sportbikes weigh nothing compared to a cruiser, but that low center of gravity makes turning a cruiser EASY. I borrowed an inlaws honda VTX1300, which is ridiculously easy to ride.... So when you see a HD guy dragging feet.... you clearly see how piss poor their abilities are.... and yet they were able to pass this stupid test.... Really bugs me how hard that test is for a sportbike, and I see these cruiser guys dragging feet everywhere even though they're so much easier to turn-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not impossible but if you're inexperienced or not comfortable turning the bike sharply at very slow speeds then it might not be easy. Relax on the bike, weight your opposite foot and modulate the clutch if needed. If all else fails, borrow a friend's Ninja 250 or 500 for the test!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I passed a few months ago on an 07 R6S

NOT EASY!!!!

couple things help... Although it sounds like you have the wrong idea about the test.

The test I did- which I believe is standard--

from right lane- ride slowly toward circle- enter circle turning counter clockwise. complete 2 turns of circle- exit on left lane.

swerve through the dots starting between dot and right lane- after last dot enter circle clockwise complete 2 turns and exit on right lane.

Took me 3 tries to get clockwise circles without putting my foot down- not easy at all!!!! However the tester let me try again after putting my foot down until I got through it.

Tips-

1 DO NOT lean your body- stand on the outside peg with your body weight as far forward over the tank as you can- Makes a big difference-

2 clutch all the way out- no gas- just idle engine clutch out for the circle- This way your hands are free to just focus on steering and balancing- and the bike creeps along at it's own idle speed. if you start dropping to the inside of the turn, a light gassing will keep you up, and you can rear brake to control the speed, but it's much easier with your hands just on the bars, and your feet positioned just to put weight on the outside peg.

Hope that helps- It's REALLY hard on my R6, but I passed- (barely)

If you cant pass, if you're in socal, there's a guy in San Diego that rents a 250 for the DMV test really cheap. http://www.dmvtestbike.com/ or take the MSF course to wave the riding test at DMV.

What really ticks me about the test.... is how ridiculously impractical it is....

Like I'm gonna do tight circle donuts in the middle of a street just waiting for a cager to run me over!!!!!!
I need to rent a bike. Failed twice on the R6. I think i got ot now but dont wanna stress. The link above fornthe san diego rental doesnt work. Can you advise a rental spot?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts