R6 Message Net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey man, what's up? Look... I don't know you so don't take offense but, how and why would you get a bike without keys? I mean, think about that for just a minute and put yourself in my place as a forum reader. Did you steal the bike? I'm not saying you did but I gotta ask the question. This forum is to help the right people, not the wrong ones.

Once you go track, you don't go back!
Just say HELL NO to going ghetto!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no offense taken. I bought the bike from a salvage yard as an abandoned vehicle. I had my insurance company check the rcmp website to see if it was stolen, and have had the local dealer (where it was bought) check to see if the bike was hot. I'm not sure why the dude walked away from it as it's not that badly damaged, but it's definately not hot. i've seen other ads on here where people are talking about buying bikes with no ignitions/ keys. did you send them the same email?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should mention i'm trying to fire it up to see if it runs well enough to fix up. dealer says i need a whole new ignition switch, key, and computer ($1500.00 in parts. ) Trying to find a cheaper alternative until i know if it's going to end up back at the junk yard. Which is why i'm asking for help

·
Registered
39 Posts
i've seen other ads on here where people are talking about buying bikes with no ignitions/ keys. did you send them the same email?

As a matter of fact, YES. I most certainly have posted such a reply in the past. And you know what happened? The guy NEVER answered me. Surely you can understand the suspicion. If I can find the post, I'll re-post it. Anyway, I have to say that I really don't know how to hot wire these things. I would imagine there is a way that involves needing a wiring diagram but for the most part, the new ignition would be the way to go despite the cost as installing a toggle gives you zero security.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
unless you are a racer... then its perfect!

its really not that hard to do.

That being said, anybody with a reasonable minute sense of engineering or a little brain power can figure it out. so im sure you'll figure it out...

i can almost promise you, with this being your VERY FIRST POST, no body who hasn't attempted to steal one that knows how to do it will tell you.

however your best shot is to find someone on this site who has stolen one and bypassed it.

btw the 06's had problems. find another year, preferably with keys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, thanks for being straight up. I appreciate it. btw, i did not add the link to the insurance companies, not sure why that happened.
Anyhow, the local shop has it, and yes it looks like a new ignition. **sigh** . The '06 had problems...? My last bike was a GpZ turbo.

·
www.frontiercycle.com
165 Posts
dont take offense to this, but your story just seems a bit sketchy. im not going to call you a thief, because for all i know, you may be the most honest person in the world. the thing that gets me is that you say you bought the bike as an abandoned vehicle from a salvage yard. the first thing is, if it was an abandoned vehicle, that would have been at an impound lot. second, if the salvage yard would have bought the bike from the impound lot, it obviously has a salvage title. that means it would need to be inspected first, before it could be rode on streets. next, if the salvage yard bought it from the impound lot, they would have the keys to match the ignition in case someone wanted to by the ignition/gas cap/rear lock off the bike.

and then my last question...why didnt you just buy a bike with keys? hell...they are dirt cheap right now with it being the winter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i know how went to mmi should i expose it im actually in the same position i lost my last key last night going to pick up a 40 oz riding a peddle kids bike i was here to inquire on the lock mechanism cause i dont want to break it agressively wich is by just kicking it.lock mech technique anyone?

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are two wires under the seat that you can connect the ignition thinks it's on. On the 08 theyre right beside the battery, I found them when I was testing things with a multimeter trying to find a spot to wire my heated grips from.

·
Registered
143 Posts
dont take offense to this, but your story just seems a bit sketchy. im not going to call you a thief, because for all i know, you may be the most honest person in the world. the thing that gets me is that you say you bought the bike as an abandoned vehicle from a salvage yard. the first thing is, if it was an abandoned vehicle, that would have been at an impound lot. second, if the salvage yard would have bought the bike from the impound lot, it obviously has a salvage title. that means it would need to be inspected first, before it could be rode on streets. next, if the salvage yard bought it from the impound lot, they would have the keys to match the ignition in case someone wanted to by the ignition/gas cap/rear lock off the bike.

and then my last question...why didnt you just buy a bike with keys? hell...they are dirt cheap right now with it being the winter.
A lot of complete bikes sold "at" salvage yards are owned by towing companys. If a bike gets abandoned and towed it will endup with lien papers not a salvage title. In Ca. if all your ducks are in a row and the papers are complete (never happens), the DMV will issue you a new clean title.

His story is sketchy, but only because nobody wants him to post his entire life story so we'll trust him (not that it would help).

"Whats the fastest way to get my R6 in the back of a van without being seen? Lost the keys to my crypto. What do you guys use to cut locks in a hurry?"

·
Registered
1 Posts
It takes a 100 OHM, 1/2 WATT, 5% tolerance resistor from Radioshack. They come in a pack of 6 I believe for 99 cents. Radioshack part number is 271-1108. The resistor sends a resisted current to the CDI or ECU letting the bike generate fire. Without the resistor the bike will turn over but no fuel pump and no spark. I wish I felt comfortable telling you how to hotwire a bike, whether it's yours or not. This should get you started in the right direction. You can find the wiring diagram on www.repairmanualclub.com/ but they only allow you 3 downloads for free so make sure you have the right one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any good dealer should be able to get the key code by looking up the VIN and will be able to cut you a key. they will just ask for a copy of you drivers license. and if this bike was reported stolen they will know who to talk to. Costs about 9 bucks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any good dealer should be able to get the key code by looking up the VIN and will be able to cut you a key. they will just ask for a copy of you drivers license. and if this bike was reported stolen they will know who to talk to. Costs about 9 bucks.
Some work with the vin, and some work with a code on the ignition. Worst case scenario you will be out a few bucks because they'll have to take the ignition off to look at the code, then cut you a key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its pretty easy. If you look at the wiring diagram (you download it off this site) on the left side of the bike there is a small plug I think its red jump those 2 wires. then if you connect the power wires from the ignition to a switch it should work. No resistor needed. I dont know whats that all about. Ive done this to every R6 Ive owned (4 of them). I do this untill my YEC harness comes in and they are already wired for it.
One thing I cant understand is when you ask a question on just about any forum you get more opinions then answers!!!!! The guy asked a question and expects an answer. He doesnt care if you think he stole it or whatever. If you think he stole it why would you even post a response. Or is it to hard for you to keep your opinions to your self. This is why I hardly EVER post anything on forums. I guess what I am saying is if you dont have a answer please just keep it to your self.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ignition problem solved. In canada, the key has a micro chip that MUST match the CDI. When you buy a bike, it comes with 3 keys. A red one and 2 black ones. The bike HAS to be started with a red one, and that key is used to program the two black ones. If you lose (or do not have) the red key, and you lose the two black ones, you have to replace the ignition switch and the cdi. I bought an ignition system, and am on the road.
As far as my sketchy story, the situation is exactly as i stated. I'm not sure how things work in the states, but here more often than not vehicles in salvage yards don't have keys. Want to buy a running motor? take the door lock to a lock smith, and have a key made for the ignition. Then you get to see if the motor runs or not. I stumbled across this bike, parked beside a dilapidated 1984 gpz 750. (It didn't have keys either.) Choosing the r6 for a project was a no-brainer. I bought the bike with no keys, fixed it, and am on riding for $1750. canadian. what's that, $1500 american? About 6 times less than most people pay for thier rides. So even though I appreciate the thoughts, people's opinions don't really mean much when i'm riding down the highway with a shit-eating grin stretching from ear to ear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
no offense taken. I bought the bike from a salvage yard as an abandoned vehicle. I had my insurance company check the rcmp website to see if it was stolen, and have had the local dealer (where it was bought) check to see if the bike was hot. I'm not sure why the dude walked away from it as it's not that badly damaged, but it's definately not hot. i've seen other ads on here where people are talking about buying bikes with no ignitions/ keys. did you send them the same email?
Listen you talk shit a impound place will sell the bike with no key for cheap there not interested wat so ever in starting it or any ov that shit they get it an flog it spear an repair if you got old bike wat you han screw a screw in the egnishon get a clore hammer an prise the swrew out like you do in a wall boom barrow comes out put any key in whoooop wheeling up the road you go loool these dicks on here tqlj shit ecu only on newer models you need that some times but on level boyss there's aways away lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts