R6 Message Net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to install my Clear Alternatives tailight yesterday. I had the bike on and touched the turn signal wire together to see if the signal would light up.

Well, I heard a faint click or pop and my brake light went out and my front turn signals went out and also the green arrow signal lights on my instrument panel went out.

I turned the bike off and back on...nothing.

So now my brake light, signals, arrow lights on instrument panel, and horn do not work.

This sounds like a blown fuse correct?

My question:

Is it easy to replace a blown fuse or should I have it worked on by a mechanic?

Where would I get a new fuse? Does my local Yamaha dealer carry them or I have to order them somewhere?

And does this mean my brand new CA tailight is shot and I need a new one or it'll be fine once the fuse is fixed?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds like a fuse to me... All you have to do is take of the panel that is right under the clutch side handlebar. It has the two screws that hold it down. Once you have that pulled off there is a small fuse box that has a couple replacement fuses in it. Just pull the blown fuse out, and replace with one of the spares. They is a diagram of what they are on the lid of the fuse box so you should be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I was looking at that panel, and it looks like where the fuse box is located, you can just take that black panel off held in by 2 screws and access the fuse box.

But the manual says to access the fusebox I need to take the entire left side fairing off. Which includes about 12 or so allen bolts and screw plugs. And it looks like a pain in the ass to put back together.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here is a pic where I had the upper piece of the side fairing off. You will need to take the piece right under the handle bar off ,and then were you see the wires there will be a little black box.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that picture. So is that the only part I will need to take off? Because the manual says to take the entire left side fairing off to access the fuse box.

Also...do you think my Clear Alternatives tailight is shot now and I need a new one? Or it's probably alright, just needs the fuse fixed?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey man, thanks for the help. I got to the second fuse box...opened it up, pulled the signal fuse. Sure enough, it was shot. Luckily my bike had a spare signal fuse so I put that one into place. And everything works again.

Now I just need to figure out how to properly wire my integrated turn signals so they come on.

This is a picture of the turn signal wires for my integrated tailight:

They are supposed to connect to one of these wires using provided connectors, but which wires are which in this picture?

These are my license plate light wires from my new fender eliminator:

They are supposed to plug into one of these wires, but which?

And finally, here are the connectors that the new tailight kit provided, it says to use these to connect the signal wires to get them to work. But I have no clue how to use these:

·
Registered
104 Posts
The blue and green license plate wires will go to the connector that are in the red square in the picture below. Just touch them into the inside of those housings until the license plate light comes on and you will find which one goes to which. As for the tail light I have the same one but I installed it a long time ago, and I have mine all spliced in and heat wrapped or I would have some pics that could help you out. I will look back through pics and see if I can find the install of mine, but the turn signals go to the two wires that are in the blue circle. One of the yellow turn signals splices into one of the two wires that are on each of those in the blue circle. You can start the bike, and touch the one of the wires to the pegs that are sticking out of those connectors to figure out which wire splices to were. As for those connectors I never use those because they are not water proof, and they can cut through the wires, but below are a few pics of how they work.

Metal tab needs to be up.

wire you are splice into goes on the outside so that it runs straight through, and the wire that you are splicing in goes into the back where it has a stop. Once the wires are in you squeeze the metal slide down through both wires.

Then you close the tab over the metal slide.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So for the license plate light:

Does the blue wire need to go into one of those cables, pictured in the red square. And the green wire needs to go into the other? Or do both wires only go into one? Would I use the red connectors to keep them in place or some other way?

And how can I be sure which wire goes to which plug? I don't want to be unsure and blow another fuse. That's how I blew the fuse last night...by not being sure, and just touching a wire to a random wire.

So you're saying that the blue/green wires for the license plate, both need to hook up to both those cables pictured in the red square?

Last night I had the ignition turned to ON with all the running lights on, when I touched the yellow wire and it blew the fuse. If I were to touch the wire together with the bike OFF and then turn it on, while I was still touching the wires together, would it still blow a fuse if the wrong ones were touching? Or will it not blow a fuse if the bike is OFF first then turned ON as opposed to be touched together when the bike is already ON?

Did that make any sense lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thought I would make it easier so I cut the wrap off mine, and took a couple pics.

You are going to want to use those red splice connectors to crimp one of the yellow turn signals wires in to the green with yellow spots and the other yellow in to the brown with yellow spots. The connectors from the stock signals also both have a black with yellow spots that you just leave alone. I cut off the stock connections on mine, and just crimped off the black and yellow.

Brown/yellow = Left hand signal
Grenn/yellow = Right hand signal

As for the plate light the green and blue will be be hooked up like mine but both of mine are black. The blue will go to one connector, and the green to the other.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you happen to blow a fuse again you can pick up some more mini fuses at walmart or autozone..
It's alright. I got a bunch of fuses at work.

Anyways, I got it all figured out last night. I tested everything and it all works. But unfortunately at that time I was too damn tired to finish it up. I'm at work right now but when I get home, I'm going to permanently wire everything together and put the bike back together and that should be that.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts