R6 Message Net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i about entering the corner,i pull in the clutch,blip the throttle,gear down and let the clutch out.....i still find that the bike was slow down by the rear wheel...does it mean i didn't brake enough??
And how can i know i did it right??
Thx

·
Registered
724 Posts
That sounds about right. You should brake before you blip the throttle or if you practice brake and blip the throttle at the same time. Doing this you have to down shift about 2-3 times before entering a corner.

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
Thrak said:
just takes practice....

most of the time I dont even blip anymore, just be smooth releasing the clutch.
Agreeded.. I usually just slip the clutch some, but i end of finding myself keeping my hand steady on the throttle when i pull in the clutch, so it acts like im blippin it.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
I'm with thrak, slip the clutch but to each his own if blipping works for you then do your thing man.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thrak said:
just takes practice....

most of the time I dont even blip anymore, just be smooth releasing the clutch.
very true.. u break/and lit out smooth u dont have to blip

i only blip sometimes, and thats cause i love the way it sounds.. thats about it..

·
I am Jack's Doctor
2,883 Posts
I blip all the time. Dunno if it was in TOTW I or II that i read it was better for the bike. Am i wrong?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
kelvin2150 said:
when i about entering the corner,i pull in the clutch,blip the throttle,gear down and let the clutch out.....i still find that the bike was slow down by the rear wheel...does it mean i didn't brake enough??
And how can i know i did it right??
Thx
On the track it is critical to rev match coming into a turn. If you are approaching the rev limiter and start to brake if you don't blip the throttle and brake you will lock up your rear tire and lose some control or worse. (slipper clutch it is much much less but you will still want to rev match when you hit the desired gear). Anyway you may as well get in the habit of doing it correctly. When riding your motorcycle ride with your pointer finger and middle fingers on the brake and your ring finger and pinkie finger on the throttle, coming into a turn get all your shifting done before the turn. brake, clutch in, shift gear blip throttle and while blipped let out the clutch.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
z-man said:
On the track it is critical to rev match coming into a turn. If you are approaching the rev limiter and start to brake if you don't blip the throttle and brake you will lock up your rear tire and lose some control or worse. (slipper clutch it is much much less but you will still want to rev match when you hit the desired gear). Anyway you may as well get in the habit of doing it correctly. When riding your motorcycle ride with your pointer finger and middle fingers on the brake and your ring finger and pinkie finger on the throttle, coming into a turn get all your shifting done before the turn. brake, clutch in, shift gear blip throttle and while blipped let out the clutch.

I dont usually blip on the track... never crashed from a locked rear tire...

The only place I have issues w/ losing rear traction is Road Atlanta coming into T10... then sometimes the back wheel slides around some. :shrug Other than that, my method works great for me, and its 1 less thing I think about. :thumbup

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
just to clarify, you blip for each gear you downshift? or do you blip once after shifting down 2-3 gears?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
riggz said:
just to clarify, you blip for each gear you downshift? or do you blip once after shifting down 2-3 gears?
Depends on your setup and style. I had a slipper clutch on my 03 R6 last year. For me from habbit I would drop one gear at a time and let out the clutch, I would do this very quickly. Valentino Rossi does this and when they focus on his clutch hand in races you can see this. However, with a slipper I know many of the guys will drop 4 gears in a shot and dump the clutch.

On a traditional clutch on the track, again your high in the revs it would be a bit more difficult I would imagine to drop 3 gears quickly and dump the clutch, might be hard to slow the motorcycle in that short a period and you might be at the rev limiter which would add another problem where your power would cut out.

On the street going 3-7K rpms you could easily drop three gears and rev match (it will keep the rear from hopping on decel) because you are no where close to the rev limiter.

Z

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
ah ok thanks. ive been bliping for each gear. do you stay on the brake when coming down more than one gear?

·
Gossamer has MOJO!!!
15,535 Posts
z-man said:
Depends on your setup and style. I had a slipper clutch on my 03 R6 last year. For me from habbit I would drop one gear at a time and let out the clutch, I would do this very quickly. Valentino Rossi does this and when they focus on his clutch hand in races you can see this. However, with a slipper I know many of the guys will drop 4 gears in a shot and dump the clutch.

On a traditional clutch on the track, again your high in the revs it would be a bit more difficult I would imagine to drop 3 gears quickly and dump the clutch, might be hard to slow the motorcycle in that short a period and you might be at the rev limiter which would add another problem where your power would cut out.

On the street going 3-7K rpms you could easily drop three gears and rev match (it will keep the rear from hopping on decel) because you are no where close to the rev limiter.

Z

Also depends on how fast you are...the AMA riders blip for a reason. As speed picks up onthe track so does everything els you do. I didnt have a slipper last year. During a track day or just messing around you have time to slow down and I never really needed to blip. As I got faster toward the end of the season I found it 100% neccesary to blip other wise the back tire would loose traction. If you brake deep you dont have time to feather the clutch for each down shift...there simply is no time. Not only that you want to use the engine braking as well. It will help you slow down faster and if the tire is loosing traction then it is not helping you to slow.

My approach may be different with my 06 since it has a slipper but I have no clue as of right now.

**edit ** I assumed this was a track related question but now that I look back I think it is more street related. For the street, I do not think it is 100% critical that you rev match your down shifts. Eveything is slowed down and you should have enough time to control the rear tire traction with your clutch

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Big Deezul said:
Also depends on how fast you are...the AMA riders blip for a reason. As speed picks up onthe track so does everything els you do. I didnt have a slipper last year. During a track day or just messing around you have time to slow down and I never really needed to blip. As I got faster toward the end of the season I found it 100% neccesary to blip other wise the back tire would loose traction. If you brake deep you dont have time to feather the clutch for each down shift...there simply is no time. Not only that you want to use the engine braking as well. It will help you slow down faster and if the tire is loosing traction then it is not helping you to slow.

My approach may be different with my 06 since it has a slipper but I have no clue as of right now.

You are going to REALLY like the slipper, but the fact that you mentioned using engine braking to stop the bike you know it is a bad habbit you are going to need to break. Throttle is used to make the bike move forward, Brakes are used to stop the bike, end of story. If your using the engine to slow the bike it is a bad habit. I used to do the same thing and also in the turn I'd use the engine to help modulate my speed.

The first day with the slipper was a bit scary, you give up at least 75% of the engine braking, it sort of feels like when you pull in the clutch and try to turn, you feel like you give up some control. Engine braking will not be an effective means for slowing you down.

Also, you know last year I was able to brake very late, I wasn't the fastest guy especially off the line but from late braking I've had a few hole shots and almost always top 2-5 at the first turn. AS a matter of fact you know first hand how late I brake because that idiot on the yellow gixxer crashed into your leg wait for me to brake first, dumb because I had the inside and he had nowhere to go. Radial master cylinder + slipper = very deep braking

Z

·
Gossamer has MOJO!!!
15,535 Posts
LOL yeah, That dude was insane. He was totally using you as a gauge but we went super deep and he couldnt stop so he used me as a gaurd rail. I have the marks on my leathers to prove it!

I dont know that I really use the back wheel to slow me down but if it is breaking loose, you can not slow down as much because the bike is so unsettled.

I cant wait to try out the 06. I read theywere adjustable as well....though I am not sure what that means. If I can pick up an extra 1/2 second on improved braking and 1/2 second on the power increase that would make me a very happy racer

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree with Big D and zman. At slower speeds blipping and engine speed matching isn't as critical. When you get going faster and get closer to the rev limiter blipping becomes more important. It matches the engine speed with the wheel speed to smooth out the transition and make it easier on the tranny. Usually you would do one blip-shift-clutch operation per gear on a legacy (LoL)tranny. Doing several gears all at one time then letting go of the clutch can lock the rear making the bike unstable or if it is leaned over can spit you off.

I think the new slipper clutches will send blipping the way of the dinosuars. 3 gears down and dump the clutch will become the norm. No more worrying about engine matching and blipping.

Either way I learned that the engine is for moving forward and the brakes are for slowing down. Depending on engine braking to slow you don can bite you. I know many people that go off track in corners due to false neutrals. When they suddenly don't have that braking power they expected at max entry speed, they end up struggling for the extra braking power to slow down. That can't happen if you are doing it all with the brakes. If I get a false neutral no problem. You don't have to worry about sudden loss of braking power. It is really more pronounced on V-twin bikes when those big pistons start dragging things down!

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
wow great responses guys. much appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I didn't quite understand the description of how you orient your hand in order to control the brake and the throttle at the same time. Does anyone have a picture?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts