R6 Message Net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was crusing around for about an hour until it started to shut off. It would shut off when i appllied the breaks. When i come to a stop or a light i would have to put it in 1st gear and start it up. When i tried starting it up it would barely start until i rev it up quickly.

First thought is battery or alternator. What do u guys th ink

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
lol silly question but did you stall it :lol

sounds like the battery. the alternator is working fine since you said when you revved it, it started working properly. the alternator works off engine rpms so its all good.

test the amperage in the battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What year is the bike? If it is still carberated then the jetting might be too rich or lean and either bogging or chocking the motor. If your bike doesn't take kindly to weather changes the carberator will act differently in extreme weather.

·
Registered
66 Posts
weird, i am having the exact same problem. ive been riding for a four years now, so i know im not stalling my bike, and i know how to work my clutch and brake and all that. my bike starts up fine, even rides good. but every now and then, i dont know when its going to happen, but as i come to a stop ive got to downshift and pull my clutch all the way in or the bike will just turn off. then i have to turn it back on and pull the throttle to give it some gas and it gets going again. it works fine as long as im riding, but when i pull up to a stop its kaput. its a 2006 R6. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP. before i got to spend money at the shop. THANKS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
weird, i am having the exact same problem. ive been riding for a four years now, so i know im not stalling my bike, and i know how to work my clutch and brake and all that. my bike starts up fine, even rides good. but every now and then, i dont know when its going to happen, but as i come to a stop ive got to downshift and pull my clutch all the way in or the bike will just turn off. then i have to turn it back on and pull the throttle to give it some gas and it gets going again. it works fine as long as im riding, but when i pull up to a stop its kaput. its a 2006 R6. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP. before i got to spend money at the shop. THANKS.
wow thats what exactly happens to me, ive charged my battery and im goin riding today, so we'll see.

·
Registered
66 Posts
r6humper, let me know how it goes after youve charged your battery. im thinking that it could be my battery as well. but i also think it has something to do with my clutch cable.

my bike was running perfect. i changed the oil and installed a new air filter, and now it doesnt want to act right.

i also removed the levers so i could paint them, and thats what makes me think that it could have something to do with my clutch lever or adjuster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
r6humper, let me know how it goes after youve charged your battery. im thinking that it could be my battery as well. but i also think it has something to do with my clutch cable.
I just went riding with 2 buds and it happened again and we cut the ride short. They say it cant be the battery because it has nothing to do with the breaks. They say that the break cable and the kill switch cable must be pinching each other beacause they are in the same box.

Theres no real way to tell unless i get it checked out. Damn thats gona put another dent on my wallet

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
I just went riding with 2 buds and it happened again and we cut the ride short. They say it cant be the battery because it has nothing to do with the breaks. They say that the break cable and the kill switch cable must be pinching each other beacause they are in the same box.

Theres no real way to tell unless i get it checked out. Damn thats gona put another dent on my wallet
your buds don't have it right...

the brake line is a line all in itself, it does NOT run through the kill switch assembly. the only things in that little "box" are the kill switch, starter button and throttle rocker. therefore they can't be pinching each other.

also, do some more research though before you take it in to a stealership. dig around your bike, try some things out, test switches etc. tell them exactly where you think the problem is and what to do, or else they will take their sweet ol' time looking for the problem and driving the total labor costs up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was crusing around for about an hour until it started to shut off. It would shut off when i appllied the breaks. When i come to a stop or a light i would have to put it in 1st gear and start it up. When i tried starting it up it would barely start until i rev it up quickly.

First thought is battery or alternator. What do u guys th ink
Dude, Have you figured out what is up with your bike. Because recently my baby has been doing the same thing 2007 R6.. I thought it was my spark plugs or something because every now and then, when I start her up it sounds as if they are not firing all the way?! Well tell me if you have made any progress and I will work on my end as well!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think I may have found a solution to our problem! I went to our sister forum r6-forum and looked up our same issue and here is a quote from their forum

" Re: Engine Shut Off on heavy breaking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx rs4 View Post
Damn son. Even if it's not the plugs change them out. 16k is a lot for originals!

Would hate to hear that the ceramic shield broke apart and ****ed your shit up!

called the previous owner, they were changed. And i got my problem fixed. It was my valve pressure, the screw was coming loose overtime. raised my idl back up to 1.3k and now it starts and runs perfectly fine."

SO HERE'S MY QUESTION? Where and How do I fix my valve presure?! + I need to change my spark plugs too! Hope this helps everyone in this forum. Talk to you guys soon!

·
squid
153 Posts
not sure what he means by valve pressure, maybe he means valve clearance. it sounds like it has nothing to do with the brakes but it has to do with low rpm's. i would at least pull the plugs out and see if they look fouled. if they are clean them or replace them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts