R6 Message Net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this weird problem that the battery discharges in 2-3 days (not fully though but the bike doesn't start at this point) and only starts the bike with close to full battery!

I've tried with a new battery but it's the same. As it could be a problem with the alarm (if functions flawlessly), I wonder if it could be a problem with the starter, fuses... the previous owner had it unused on the backyard for a few months and jumpstarted it.

It is a '03 r6 and, aside of this problem, quite happy with it. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All lights power up but I get this throaty "nut cracking" sound. Some friend tested the battery and at 40% it won't start.

·
#1 member
2,807 Posts
sounds like its just a bad battery now. they dont hold charges if they have been run dead a few times. you may have other problems with the charging circuit that caused the battery to get weak. or the alarm did it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,

I don't think it's the battery, I tried a new one and i had the same problems.

Stator? it drained your battery and you had to start the bike at full charge? how do i check the stator?

·
#1 member
2,807 Posts
first thing first the stator is the generator. its purpose is to charge the battery and supply power to everything that needs it.

second you can test its output by using a voltmeter.
attach the voltmeter to the battery terminals.
start the bike. at 5k rpm the voltmeter should read 14v.

the rest of the testing will have to do with testing the continuity of the stator itself. also can be done with a voltmeter.
you should download the service manual for the proper procedures on how to check the charging circuit.
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39254

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
also if you do find out that it is the stator, or voltage regulator, replace the batter when you replace those. chances are the new battery is not dead.

also, it is a bit of a duh that a battery at 40% won't start a bike. 40% is effectively fully discharged. the batteries on these bike are speced with a VERY thin margin relative to the power required. they are trying to save weight but the result is a battery that has to be taken care of and can quickly go south.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Does the battery drain in 2 or 3 days with the bike un-used and just sitting there, or after 2 or 3 days of riding?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
after it starts (at full batt charge) do you take it around town? i believe the battery will only charge if its idling above 4-5k rmp. so take it for a long cruise and see what happens, if thats the case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, very helpful, thanks. The bike drains in 2-3 days unused. You discard any problems with the alarm or the starter then??

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
oscardelahoya said:
Wow, very helpful, thanks. The bike drains in 2-3 days unused. You discard any problems with the alarm or the starter then??
If that's the case, then it's pretty hard to fault the charging system or the starter.

If your battery is being drained, with the key off, the fastest and easiest way I've found is to connect an amp meter in line with the battery lead, read the current draw with the key off and start pulling fuses until the draw stops. That way you can at least focus on 1 circut of the system as being the problem. I would start to suspect any aftermarket elect. items you have installed on the bike, first.

On a 99-02 R6 at least, there will be a very small draw with the key off, because the trip meter and clock are always powered. This circut is labled "backup" and is protected with a 7.5 amp fuse. Don't let that confuse you when you're troubleshooting your problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YamRZ350 said:
If that's the case, then it's pretty hard to fault the charging system or the starter.

If your battery is being drained, with the key off, the fastest and easiest way I've found is to connect an amp meter in line with the battery lead, read the current draw with the key off and start pulling fuses until the draw stops. That way you can at least focus on 1 circut of the system as being the problem. I would start to suspect any aftermarket elect. items you have installed on the bike, first.

On a 99-02 R6 at least, there will be a very small draw with the key off, because the trip meter and clock are always powered. This circut is labled "backup" and is protected with a 7.5 amp fuse. Don't let that confuse you when you're troubleshooting your problem.
Someone pointed to the Datatool alarm on a previous thread as the source of the problems. As you suggest, I will remove the fuse from the alarm and see what happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts