R6 Message Net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that there are a ton of you with Battery Tenders out there that have the quick-connect hooked up permanently to the bike. For those of you in this boat, did you connect the negative lead of the quick-connect to the negative terminal or did you connect it to a bolt somewhere on the subframe? I ask because since it is a negatively grounded battery, everything I've ever learned about electrical systems says you shouldn't have both quick-connect leads attached to the battery.

Is there any harm or potential harm in hooking both leads to the battery? I believe it even states in the Tender's guide to connect it to a grounded frame/subframe member. What schools of thought are there on this?

Any information/input on this would be greatly appreciated!

·
WTF or ban
88 Posts
I think I went right to the battery on my RD350. I have been using it like that for two years.

The r6 has a BMW electrical port that I made an adaptor for. I plug the battery tender into the port, and it is directly wired to the ground side of the battery.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've had my quick-connect connected to the -ve terminal for 2 years and no problems. I don't remember the instructions saying not to ground on the -ve:umm . I'm curious now too:shrug .

·
Tochos
997 Posts
I have the instuctions for a dc connection. These are for the "Deltran Battery Tender Junior". I think i paid around 47 dollars for this model.

Step 21 section E reads:
For a negative-grounded vehicle, connect the POSITIVE (RED) clip from the battery charger to the POSITIVE (POS, P +) ungrounded post of battery. Connect the NEGATIVE (BLACK) clip to the vehicle chassis or engine block away from battery. Do not connect the clip to Carburator, fuel lines, or sheet metal body parts. Connect to a heavy gauge metal part of the frame or engine block.

Thats right off the instrutions that say " IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTUCTIONS SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS"

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
the reason for not attaching direclty to a battery when jump starting, or otherwise attaching a live wire directly to the battery is to avoid sparks. Notice in those instructions above they appear to be talking about the battery clips. that would jive with what I said about conecting a potentially live (if you have it plugged in) wire to the battery.

with a quick connector you are already doing that (aka protecting from sparks) because you are hooking up to the charger away from the battery.

There is nothing to worry about hooking the quick connect directly to the battery

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that you would cause no harm at all by hooking the quick connect to both terminals. Electrically speaking, there can be no harm, and as Jumper said, you will be avoiding sparking by using the quick connect instead of the alligator clips.

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
yea if you know how a battery works you wont sweat it

·
Registered
550 Posts
Also by not hooking it up straight to the battery the battery will be charged to a slightly lower voltage because there is a small resistance when you attach the ground anywhere else than to the negative terminal. This resistance will create a voltage drop between the negative terminal of the battery and the negative lead of the battery tender.

So connect it straight up to the battery.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have my clips connected to both terminals and ran the cable under the seat to just under the left side...look underneath, plug it in, and I am good to go! It seems to be working out fine this winter!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts