R6 Message Net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's gotten sorta cold here, 28 F at night, 40 to 50 during the day. Bike wouldn't start yesterday... hey it's a cold engine-- I let it sit for about thirty minutes, tried it again, sounded like the battery wasn't giving enough juice to the bike to start. So I break out the jumper cables in a furious state, turn my car off and the bike starts without any hesitation. Happy and delighted :rockingba , I take the bike out for about a hour and a half ride, meet my girlfriend for lunch, then take the bike to put gas in it. Put gas in the bike and it won't start again :furious So I call a buddy and jump it again to get it back home, WTF!? The battery is practically brand new, I just got it in September. Is it just not getting a charge? Could it be the spark plugs? I've never had this problem with a motorcycle or vehicle. Anybody have some ideas or simliar problems?

·
#1 member
2,807 Posts
definitely not spark plugs.
check
1. for loose/corroded connection at the battery.
2. if you have a volt meter check the charging by connecting it to the battery terminals while the bike is running. at 5k rpm the voltage should be 14v.

·
Р6 Ме&#
373 Posts
yeah i recommend the push start instead of the jumpstart, dont have to remove the seat and you dont risk messing up the bike with jump starting it, and i also recommend keeping it on a charger at night when cold, i went to walmart and bought a $17 charger that comes with a plug that you install on the battery and run it under the seat and just plug it up every night, its easy and havent had a problem starting it yet, even in freezing temps

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply everyone.... yeah I seriously debated on the jumpstart method for a little awhile before I did it. Hows this $17 charger work? Is it actually something that mounts on to the battery? It sounds very appealing. Do most bikes have this problem generally? I know most batteries are generally weakened tremendously in cold weather, I didn't know it pertained to motorcycle batteries as well though. Thanks for the tip-- I'll run by Wally-World tonight and check it out after I get off of work here...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts